Why are spark plugs so darn expensive in NZ?

Page 1 / 2
jorgy, Feb 25, 9:51am
Need to get some NGKs (ILTR5A-13G) and I see they are $US10.67 each in the USA (from Summit Racing) and around $47 each in NZ! Why such a huge difference!

sw20, Feb 25, 9:56am

xpfairmont, Feb 25, 10:36am
because we are small and far away.maybe!

a18a, Feb 25, 10:42am
Buy them from the USA.

thetyredepotnz, Feb 25, 11:01am
http://ngk-sparkplugs.com/index.php!main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=8a33e826bb05b55bdf1755bd63cc0590&keyword=ILTR5A+13G

$16 Aud here. bought a set of ngk plugs for $13 which go for $30 each here. Got here within a week from japan.

n1smo_gtir, Feb 25, 11:03am
everything is expensive in nz! NZ milk, adidas top just to name a few.

netking, Feb 25, 11:13am
Why stay there and die. Come to the lucky country!

icemans1, Feb 25, 11:25am
greedy kiwi syndrome - gotta mark everything up by at least 100%

smac, Feb 25, 7:09pm
Yeah, where you can run from a bush fire, wither in a drought and drown in a flood all in the same day

yvette1, Feb 25, 7:30pm
Not really much to do with it.
Facts is we have the most complicated mix of cars due to our import from anywhere policies and we have each of them in relatively low numbers which means huge parts inventories with low stock turns. Someone has to "pay" to hold all that stock and it is the consumer.

intrade, Feb 25, 8:04pm
100% lol try 400 to 3000% i often find 400% price difference. supermarkets are the worst of all for a honey from local guy 6 bux he sold the pottle on the market at packandçuck 18$ for the exact honey and i am sure they dont even pay him the 6$ he sells at the market probably gets 4$ if that. thats at least 400% markup and then they tell on TV that they only add 25%

intrade, Feb 25, 8:08pm
anotherone . the youghurt calledgopola right that was finally a realistic price 2.60$ for 700 gramm. but behold now they already sneeked 40 to 80 cent on top of that price depending on supermarket and there only is 2 whom rip us offfoodstuff and progressive these 2 own every other supermarket like neworld is packandchuck. its worse then italia with berlusconis mafia here.

sw20, Feb 25, 8:42pm
One day I'll have my own grocery store .

tgray, Feb 25, 9:22pm
Maybe if it wasn't for those vowel mangling accents and pronunciation you would have to live with.lol
Arvo
Abbo
Ambo

monsieurl, Feb 25, 10:47pm
Buy them online instead of whinging then!

petal_91, Feb 25, 10:47pm
Are you sure those overseas ones will be the proper Laser Iridium ones though! They could easily be counterfeits.

Anyway, the way I see it I only need 6, and they last 100,000kms, so just get them from Repco as the hassle of ordering from overseas is too much for something that you hardly ever need to replace.

pauldw, Feb 25, 11:09pm
For that matter how do you know locally sourced plugs are genuine!
Some vehicle brands say change at 100k some 100+ miles, @$50 a plug that's quite a difference.

tigra, Feb 26, 12:05am
Thats a minimum - they have to be able to take something off when they have their weekly sales so push up the shelf price as much as the market can stand and then some.

kingfisher21, Feb 26, 12:57am
Order them from the States, that's what I did, were on my doorstep in less than a week, Summit Racing are good to deal with. NZ retailers need to wake up, I can get parts from the States quicker than what it takes most useless retailers here to pack them up and courier them, courier companies need to wake up as well, the last thing I got from down south, Christchurch, took longer to get here than most of my packages from the States. I know NZ doesn't have the population and therefore the amount of purchases but hell, if it quicker and cheaper from the States, why not.

clark20, Feb 26, 8:34am
I got them at staff rates at Repco for $23 each, but I needed 8.

akaniva, Feb 26, 8:50am
Exactly, the US is very competitive now with their weak dollar, freight can be cheap too, so pays to get online these days for huge savings. I save a ton on other non-vehicle items from the US.

next-to-normal, Feb 27, 12:21am
i had this issue with glow plugs, $27 each in nz $12 each from england plus $20 post saved $55 bucks on my 5,vote with my feet these days

smac, Feb 27, 12:39am
Ya the improvements in freight logistics these days and the internet means the business model of being just an importer/seller is all but dead. You can no longer run a business on the sole basis that you buy stuff overseas, ship it here, whack a big markup on it and sell it. The consumers now have access to many of the same suppliers, and often don't have duty to contend with, buying smaller volumes. These businesses will need to add value in some way, diversify, or die.

floscey, Feb 27, 12:42am
so thats cost plus 10% on an allready preloaded cost price , so repco probably buy them at less than $10 . Not bad margins aye.

meathead_timaru, Feb 27, 1:11am
That excuse would fly (excuse the pun) 25 years ago but with modern freight and communications. nah