Towing with a Nissan Rnessa

ansypansy1, Feb 25, 7:01am
Nissan Rnessa 2litre 4 cyl auto. I think about 1996 model. How much weight issafe to tow, as far as a horsefloat is concerned. It's a double, electronic brakes, Not sure as yet of it's weight, (Not a heavy clunker) dual axle. two ponies weighing around 350kg each.
Safe or not. Have been advised it will stuff the transmission up. TIA

gunhand, Feb 25, 7:12am
I would say no, prob not the best for a long term tower of horses.It would be like you pushing a weight you can push for sure, but mile after mile!Or are these a diesel thing! Ill google one LOL. But 2ltr 4cyl towing a double loaded float dosn't sound good.

morrisman1, Feb 25, 7:18am
nup not really. If its a CVT dont even think about towing the trailer empty. If its a 4 stage auto then I wouldn't expect it to take too kindly. The engine will be fine with it. I dont know about the towing limits of your towbar system (check its rating) but it could well be within limits. Its your auto Id be worried about.

kazbanz, Feb 25, 9:45am
OP--I can't say no it wont do it but my experience with tow wagons is that a 2.0l auto is gonna kill the tranz with a double float on behind

matarautrader, Feb 25, 10:09am
Look at this site
http://www.aa.co.nz/cars/maintenance/towing/towing-weights/nissan/
Looks like your car which is basically a Primera is good for 1300kg braked. Thats about 1 fat horse. Your trailer with 2 horses on it plus the back of thecar loaded with saddles, food, water etc will weight in excess of 2000kg. Pop down now to your friendly local garage right now and slip them $5000 so when your auto blows you might be able to fix it.

ansypansy1, Feb 26, 3:39am
Oh well then,, back to the drawing board. I never towed with an automatic, well, not horses anyway. I did a few trips with furniture in a heavyish furniture trailer, using a Honda Accord. Probably just as weill it was only a one-off.
Some hairy experiences when I WAS towing. 1.6 holden stationwagon with no synchromesh into low gear and a hill that was too steep was the worst.
Just as well hubby was there too, not just me and two little kids.
I towed a double float with two horses using a 2.o (or was it 2.2) holden belmont, on CNG and seldom had to change to petrol for a bit more oomph.
Float was bought for my son to tow his daughter's pony. They have a truck, but going to cost money to get that back on the road, COF, rego etc.
Shoulda done what I suggested and converted the truck to carry two ponies.

tazcsv, Feb 26, 3:45am
Older horse trucks are a pain in the ass if you dont use them enuff, everytime they need a cof they need money spent.
We sold our truck and brought a float and toyota landcruiser and have never looked back.

msigg, Feb 26, 3:49am
Yea the weight would be 350x 2 = 700 + the trailer which would weigh approx 400kg+ plus gear another 200kg maybe so on the limit anyway.

ansypansy1, Feb 26, 5:20am
Msigg, the saddles are lightweight synthetic jobs. I could carry two of them, and I'm an old girl with no muscles. I think the 400kg for the float is a bit of an understatement though. I think I can read the whole number plate in the photo (bought off TM and not picked up yet) so will ring NZTA and get the weight of it so we're sure.
They wont be towing very often, but the road is gravel and winding with steeply banked corners. Probably better put it in the too hard basket.
If he converted the truck to carry ponies, it would get more use as he would use it in his landscaping business.

msigg, Feb 26, 5:49am
Yes sure, maybe 600kg for trailer, they are not as heavy as most think, but as you say with that road and gravel thats just another problem to contend with.

tuttyclan, Feb 26, 6:10am
I am no expert but it sounds like you need a good sized diesel 4WD to not only carry the weight but to tackle the unsealed road with windy corners.Something like a Landcruiser or Patrol or similar.A underpowered (for the weight involved) overloaded front wheel drive 2000cc automatic sounds like a recipe for disaster.If it had been manual and no unsealed roads you may get away with it on rare occasions (might still be a weight issue on your towbar though) but definatley not in a automatic or even manual on that terrain.Assuming yours is the 2WD model the poor thing will struggle to get traction,wrecking the automatic,cvs and tyres.