Changing Motorbike Oil and Filter. Help!

rusty_thomson, Feb 23, 2:36am
Hi everyone I have a Suzuki RV 200 which I purchased about 4 months ago. It had done 1000km since its last oil change and has done about 600km since. I was wondering how often I would need to change the oil and whether or not I should do it now! I've heard some people say every 2000km and some say 5000km!

Also there is a oil level indicator on the side of the oil tank and (this may sound like a really stupid question) I don't know if I should read this when the bike is on its stand (Oil showing is below "Low" level) or when I hold it up straight (Oil is at "Full" level).

Any help would be great! I really want to make sure I take great care of my bike. Thanks

kazbanz, Feb 23, 3:06am
Oil change every 5000km and check oil on its wheels

the_chooky, Feb 23, 4:27am
Like Kaz said,stand the bike up straight to check the oil level in the sight glass.and there's not a lot of oil in them bikes so it wont hurt to change it at 2thou kms.

pnh4, Feb 23, 4:29am
Entirely up to you, when I bought my new bike, I did the oil every 2000kms, & have never taken to the shop for those valve adjustment after break-in aprox 1600kms bike hasnt missed a beat & never needed that.

therafter1, Feb 23, 4:47am
Wot 2 + 3 said.

pnh4, Feb 23, 4:56am
& you say!

rusty_thomson, Feb 23, 6:13am
Thanks for all the responses. Will let it run a bit more and then change the oil probably at around 3000km :)

Also another quick question, I know with cars you just top up the oil, how come with motorbikes you have to drain the oil and and put new oil in! Why not just top up the oil! Thanks

jmma, Feb 23, 6:16am
Stand back, don't touch that motorbike!

a.woodrow, Feb 23, 6:20am
Because it's not oil consumption that is the issue, it's how dirty it gets. Generally cars shouldn't need to be topped up between oil changers, unless if they are leaking or burning it. Topping up isn't an oil change.

ducatiss, Feb 23, 6:26am
Seriously.go and get an owners manual for that bike. You will learn all the basics of maintaining it.

rusty_thomson, Feb 23, 6:42am
Ok thanks. Had a look and can't find one for it but will keep looking. Thanks

the_chooky, Feb 23, 9:15am
I love people with a good sense of humour.

budgel, Feb 23, 9:27pm
Dont be critical, this inexperienced owner is genuinely trying to find out how to do the right thing for his vehicle.
He has my repect for that.

the_chooky, Feb 24, 5:33am
OK then. I thought you were trying to be funny.