Oil filters. Its it all right to use an oil filter that is slighty shorter still the right roundness

proracer, Dec 25, 10:38pm
its it all right to use an oil filter that is slighty shorter still the right roundness!

unbeatabull, Dec 25, 11:03pm
It can be. You need to get the part number off the filter you are fitting and cross reference it with what the manufacturer/filter company recommends for that car. A lot of filters can be very similar and fit multiple cars, but have a slightly different seal seating position/diameter, pressure check valves/anti drain valves etc inside them

mrfxit, Dec 25, 11:15pm
Frogs61. go away unless you have something constructive to say

Correct but also partly depends on quality of the filter & if you intend to do the next oil change sooner & or if you have gone from a tough operating environment to a passive workload

unbeatabull, Dec 26, 2:29am
I tend to assume people thesedays know not to by a $5 chinese filter from Repco/Warehouse/etc

irule, Dec 26, 3:00am
Where do you get a "good" filter! I have pretty much always got mine from the big chain stores but the wife and I now have got quite good cars that we plan on keeping for a while.

jasongroves, Dec 26, 6:20am
Ryco are fine, or head into your local relevant franchise (Toyota, Holden, whatever.) and buy an OEM one.
Personally, I just use Ryco and stick to recommended change times (or less if you prefer).
Always worth a look on the 'E' site for OEM stuff as its quite often cheaper.

gunhand, Dec 26, 7:22am
10 trillion (give or take a million) Rycos sold all around the world, yea there crap, thats why your mechanic and large dealerships uses them most of the time come oil change. Most people would never look or care what the mechanic puts on.

mugenb20b, Dec 26, 7:38am
What a load of nonsense. Ryco has a good name, and I've never had one that I could complain about. If there is a brand to avoid that I know of is Fram (but not the HP series). Fram filters are manufactured poorly and reduce oil pressure in some cases. I did an oil change on a 2.8 diesel Hiace recently. Client supplied Fram filter (same as Ryco Z9). It took just over 6 seconds for the oil light to go off (that's every time, hot or cold), so I took the filter off and turned it into a fast flying projectile aimed at the nearest bin. Ryco filter went on, less than a second for the oil light to go off, even after 10 000kms. Another one I had was my own Isuzu MU, Fram filter had a factory fault (not a rubber seal), leaked like a sieve. Just my personal experience.

gunhand, Dec 26, 7:45am
LOL, did you not get the sarcasim in what I said.If they were crap they wouldnt sell shitloads and most decent mechanics wouldnt use them let alone big dealerships. No one wants to deal with a failed oil filter and the possable relating damage now do they.

n3d4sp3d, Dec 26, 7:47am
fit a genuine filter most cases they are no more that $10 more than after market,

mugenb20b, Dec 26, 7:51am
Sorry, you're right. I see the sarcasm now after reading your post again. Maybe I was in the sun too long today.

gunhand, Dec 26, 7:55am
Yea me to, been tring to hide from it all day as well, BUT one should not complain about the heat.