Correct rotation of tyres

geminidragon, Mar 15, 9:07am
is it right front to back rightand left frontto left rear thanks

cpnnz, Mar 15, 9:12am
that would be correct for directional tyres with same size front & rear.

mugenb20b, Mar 15, 9:12pm
Yes. I never do a tyre rotation on my cars, a complete waste of time imo.

unbeatabull, Mar 15, 9:23pm
On most cars yes. If not directionals, you can go Left front to right rear, right front to left rear.

In reality, its a false economy. You get more life out of your tyres, but you will end up having to buy 4x tyres at once instead of say 2 tyres 6 months earlier, then 2 tyres 6 months later. Depends on if you want to do a whole set at a time or replace in pairs.

clark20, Mar 15, 9:35pm
Front to rear, and not a complete waste of time. For some reason the rear wear twice as fast as the front on the dore. 400hp may have something to do with it. People talk about different types front to rear (tread, size, type) however I imagine the same new type vs 3/4 worn tyres would havereasonable imbalance (maybe 20%+)

unbeatabull, Mar 15, 10:14pm
If same tyre, tread depth only alters grip on a wet road. On a dry road, the tyre with less tread would have less grip, arguably a bald tyre would have more then a new tyre.

carkitter, Mar 16, 9:15am
A bald tyre is not the same thing as a racing slick.

trade4us2, Mar 16, 9:59am
One of my cars has front wheel drive four wheel steering.
The rear tyres seem to last for ever, maybe because they are not being dragged sideways around corners.

lookoutas, Mar 16, 8:51pm
I never touch rear tyres, but often flip the fronts on the rim and send them to the other side. That way, the inside becomes the outside on the other side, but the tyre still rotates in the same direction.
A tyre man once told me that changing rotation is the quickest way to wear a tyre. That's probably why they don't tell anyone.

clark20, Mar 16, 9:14pm
Sorry, you forgot about softness (for want of a better word) has a huge effect on wet weather grip. Friend at work has 1/2 worn Dunlops and they are hard and dangerous, and new ones (same brand etc) would be noticeably higher in grip)

clark20, Mar 16, 9:19pm
And that was 1/2 the point I was making, new on one end, 3/4 worn on the other is a imbalance. Wearing all 4 together and replacing as a set is safer.

supernova2, Mar 16, 9:22pm
If its an AWD I'd say the best life will be to make sure the alignments are all up to spec and then just leave them where they are.Down side of AWD is you need to buy 4 at a time.I've got an AWD here at mo that some clever person fitted a pair of new to the front.To overcome the rolling radius problem the fronts are a size smaller than the rears which are down below the limit.Realisticly its now up for 4 new tyres.Oh well whats a grand between friends.

socram, Mar 16, 9:22pm
Agree with that one!New Toyos are stunning in the wet, terrible after three of four years.
Just for the record, I don't believe in tyre rotation either, particularly if the front has a bit of negative camber and the rear doesn't.

coolieo, Mar 16, 11:43pm

unbeatabull, Mar 17, 4:09am
Ok. So say 2 years running, rotated tyres, you need to replace them, they have all worn evenly. $250 a tyre. $1000 in two years.

Now if you don't rotate, say the fronts wear twice as fast as the rear. You need to do the fronts after 18 months, so thats $500 after a year and a half, which isn't as good. But then you're rears aren't wearing as fast, they last 3 years before needing doing. So then after 3 years you need to buy a full set, which is $1000. After 3 years you have spent $1500. Back to the first situation, after 4 years you will have to spend another $1000 on another set .

Basically, averaging $500 a year on tyres, both ways the same. It really depends on whether you would rather bulk do all four at once or do it in pairs.

Depends on car obviously as well. Like you said, a 4WD you would prefer to do them all four together. But something performance orientated, you might prefer to do them in pairs, especially if they are different sizes.

And yes, there are a lot of variables in my bald tyre comment. As I said, the main difference is IN THE WET!. In the dry there isn't that much different. Obviously if the tyre is old, and hard, and cracking etc then it won't have as much grip. But a 6 month old bald tyre vs a 6 month old new tyre in on road situations will have very little difference. On the track there would be but the road isn't a race track!

oscar220, Mar 17, 4:50am
Only problem with this theory is, with the exception of the current dry spell, is you cant be changing your tyres everytime it rains.

scuba, Mar 17, 6:14am
or maybe the "tyre man" was talking bollacks.

unbeatabull, Mar 17, 7:29am
Sure ya do, just hop out and swap them over!

lookoutas, Mar 17, 8:23am
He was the expert, not me.

His explanation was that if the tread was feathering, running them in the opposite direction would instantly knock that off every time they were swapped.
I didn't say BS. In fact, I could understand the theory.
Then again, I was usually on directionals, so there was no argument.

scuba, Mar 17, 9:47pm
if the tyres are feathering the wheel alignments out. swapping the tyres isn't going tofix the problem but it won't make it any worse.

monzaman, Mar 17, 10:45pm
Correct if feathering or uneven wear is evident a wheel alignment is needed and will make your tyres last much longer therefore making a wh alignment more than pay for itself,my jumbo hiace for instance with 235/60x16 hankook optimo k406 tyres went 77,000ks with tyres rotated once fr with rears and one was still warantable,first thing I had done to van when I bought was a wh alignment (was pulling left).

lookoutas, Mar 18, 5:44am
That's in a perfect world, and I was doing that part. But jumping in the car and driving some of the roughest back country roads around, often meant a W/A could be completely stuffed-up the next day.