Brake and Clutch Fluid question.

theram1, Mar 15, 11:30pm
My car uses DOT 3 fluid, I have seen on the back of a bottle of DOT 4 fluid the following.
"Recommended for systems using fluids meeting DOT 4 or DOT 3."
Will this fluid be ok to use in my car!. I am thinking yes, but I want to make sure.

Also, should a person that asks this type of question really be trying to change the clutch master cylinder.

tazcsv, Mar 15, 11:43pm
How hard can it be, it will either work or it wont.

msigg, Mar 16, 12:40am
Yes that stuff will be fine, and yes you live and learn by doing things. If you stuff up the clutch master cylinder you won't be going anywhere so you will learn.

theram1, Mar 16, 12:58am
Thanks, I just needed to be sure. The cylinder is off now, and I am waiting for the rust converter to set and then paint the area.
The fluid was pouring out, I must admit it was fun changing gear without using the clutch, to get home.

daryl14, Mar 16, 7:13pm
Ha ha, I'm about to do a clutch master cylinder in my "euro".

I have printed off a set of step by step instructions from my CD workshop manual. Bought the new cylinder off the interweb, got the new fluid and hopefully everything else I could possibly need. Just waiting for my days off to rip into it.

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous, I always say.

intrade, Mar 16, 7:15pm
yea be ok be awear the fluid is highly corosive you need to bleed the system after , I hope you did nut put rustconverter befor you washed the area as thats what gets rid of the brake fluid , plentywarm water when you got a spill.