Any peugeot mechanics here? problems again.

nashipear, Mar 18, 5:11am
So after replacing the clutch $800 later the squeaky grinding horribleness has gone. Yey! But this has been replaced with shuddering when the clutch bites. Seems to mostly be in first and second gear. Once I have speed up its fine. I'm not sure if the problem was there before but if it was, it definitely wasn't as bad as it is now with the new clutch. The whole car shakes like a washing machine! Mechanic said it was the engine mount and replaced this today. $220 later the problem is still the same and he doesn't know what it could be and what to do next. Anyone got any ideas! Googling around I have heard it could be the flywheel (which surely they checked when replacing the clutch), clutch slave cylinder, vibration on clutch fork or the gearbox mount. Anyone got any ideas!

unbeatabull, Mar 18, 5:31am
Is it a diesel! Dual Mass Flywheel!

Do you know if anything was done with the flywheel when the clutch was done! At the very least it should of been machined.

If it has been swapped from a Dual Mass Flywheel to a standard Flywheel it could also cause this feeling.

msigg, Mar 18, 5:31am
Yes flywheel bit out, hard spots on it, pressure plate not equal on all fingers, oil on clutch plate, hard to say but , or gearbox mounts, probably clutch kit that has just been put in!, maybe they bent something/. Good luck.

nashipear, Mar 18, 6:10am
2003 Peugeot 206 gti SW. Petrol. Not sure if its solid or dual mass. They didn't say anything about the flywheel when I picked it up. Im a woman maybe they thought I wouldn't know what one was. I knew I should have asked but since they were replacing the clutch I thought surely they would have checked the flywheel and did anything they needed to.

beast9, Mar 18, 6:15am
a flywheel should be skimmed before fitting a new clutch due to heat spots

franc123, Mar 18, 6:37am
Got your invoice handy! Post what it says on it, if your car does have a DMF you would have noticed when you paid it if it had been replaced, they're not cheap, I doubt a Pudget one would be included in the $800 including labour and the clutch kit.If it has a normal flywheel and its been machined, then fine, if not then why not.Putting used DMF's back in is a highly risky proposition, the chances of one lasting the life of two clutches is extremely remote.

intrade, Mar 18, 6:47am
did we not have a thread about this ! and i warned you about dmf flywheel but it apeard not to have one or it looked like it dont got a dmf!

djrandomguy, Mar 18, 9:03am
also are you using a regular mechanic or a mechanic who specializes in Puegeot or Citroen [psa group]!.The reason I ask is we currently run a petrol Citroen and an HDi Peugeot, when I ask regular mechanics I get tutting noises and snide remarks and when I see my PSA mechanic he knows what it will be and the problem is quoted and sorted in short order.

nashipear, Mar 18, 8:42pm
djrandomguy I am in Alexandra and not many mechanics to choose from. hes just one of the good regular mechanics. Probably hasent worked on many Peugeot's unfortunately. yes intrade did have another thread. that problems fixed but now I have another just as annoying one. Do you reckon they did a shoddy job at replacing the clutch! yip we did think it was a solid mass after looking at parts but weren't 100%. Just rang the Dunedin Peugeot parts people and yip you were right its a solid.

supernova2, Mar 18, 11:39pm
Whats it like in reverse!Are you saying that the shuddering keeps going until you gain road speed or did I misread that!

IMHO shuddering from a clutch is due to the driven plate skipping on the flywheel.That could be due to damage/mislaignment when fitting or perhaps a worn input shaft bearing in the gear box.Do you know if your car uses a spigot bearing or is the shaft floating.

Did they fit genuine parts or some cheap knockoff chinese crap!

At the end of the day its aclutch job.The fact its on a Pug shouldn't really make any difference as its not like Pug have reinvented the system.It may have a few bits of different design to say a Toyota but they still just bolt in there and do whatever they are designed to do.Any competent garage should be able to do the job.

IMHO you shouldn't have to pay the $220 for the engine mount as it didn't fix the problem.The car should not have been returned to you after the clutch was fitted with a shudder.If the shudder wasn't there before the clutch was fixed then its got to be something the garage has caused.Simply replacing bits till they find the cause of the problem is not acceptable practice.

Just as an example I know of one clutch job on a euro where a large workshop had the clutch out 3 times and it got worse each time.They also had engine mounts changed etc.Eventually it went elsewhere who fitted good quality (not genuine) clutch kit and all the problems went away.Took a court case to get refund from 1st garage.

supernova2, Mar 18, 11:50pm
Just read your first thread.Do you know if they put a complete clutch kit in or did they just replace the noisey bearing!I only ask as I priced up a Renault bearing the other day and it was $816 in NZ and $443 in Oz.

nashipear, Mar 19, 2:03am
Hi Supernova2 they replaced the clutch as well as the bearing. But didn't say anything about the flywheel. Not sure on if the parts were genuine or not. To be honest I don't know too much about these things. The shudder just happens for a few seconds when the clutch bites in. Once I get up speed the gears 3rd - 5th are fine. Not sure about reverse will try it out when I go to town this afternoon. Yeah not good that we had to pay for the new engine mount which probably wasn't needed. I really don't understand why they can't figure out what the problem is and I don't know what to do next.

supernova2, Mar 19, 2:47am
IMHO next is out with the box again and have a good look at what they did andwhats happening.Just a thought get someone who has never driven the car before to go for a drive round the block and see what happens - go with them but dont tell them what to expect.

It might just be that you were used to the clutch when it was stuffed and now need to readjust to the new feel.I had a custy with an alfa years ago that reckoned his clutch was stuffed.Couldn't find anything obvious so went with a drive with him.He attempted to drive off at idle and changed into top gear at about 30km.We swopped seats and i drove back to shop.He couldn't believe how well his car went.Not fora minute suggesting that you drive like that.

nashipear, Mar 19, 4:21am
ok good idea will take it to my father tonight and see if he picks up on things. Just drove it then reverse is doing the same shudder but 1st gear feels a lot worse.

pinga08, Mar 19, 8:37am
i dont think any garage in alexandra has the gear to surface a flywheel they would send it to dunedin or invercargill.

cowlover, Mar 19, 8:39am
If the old clutch didn't shudder why woud you think it vital to resurface the flywheel!

llortmt, Mar 19, 9:24am
My moneys on a damaged inner CV joint when clutch was fitted, it wont be duel mass flywheel and I doubt its the clutch it's self.

nashipear, Mar 24, 6:27pm
well looks like it's definitely something to do with the clutch. Just started it this morning to drop back off into the mechanic and there is no clutch at all. I could push the clutch down with my little fingernail it has no resistance at all. Not so handy timing cant get it into gear so cant get it into town to the mechanic. Quite disgusted really, have forked out all that cash and now my car doesn't even work at all. Hope this isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg to fix!

mugenb20b, Mar 24, 6:35pm
Clutch master or slave cylinder. I never worked on a 206 before, so not sure on pricing or labour.