Advantages of an XR6 over a standard Coon.

tup, Mar 28, 6:18am
what are the advantages. if any please!is it just a flash coloured motor and different headlights or is there more to an XR6 does anyone know!

a.woodrow, Mar 28, 6:21am
What model are you looking at!

thunderbolt, Mar 28, 6:22am
Depends on the model really. 08-12 FG differences
6 speed ZF Versus 5 speed slush box
Sports suspension
Wider tyres and lower profile
Fog lamps
Seats
Trim
Gauges etc

casper35, Mar 28, 6:28am
What model and year are you looking at.

tup, Mar 28, 6:34am
dec 97 ute.:)

tup, Mar 28, 6:34am
seems pretty basic really. i always thought they were the upper class sport model.:)
it's an auto.

a.woodrow, Mar 28, 6:37am
Head is different on the motor, guages are higher spec and have oil pressure and battery voltage, lights, probably not much else other than trim. I'm not sure if suspension was any different for utes

tup, Mar 28, 6:40am
better head!hard case aye. i always had this false impression of 'oh flash!'lol! :)

a.woodrow, Mar 28, 6:44am
Tickford alloy head, different cams and extractors, IIRC the slush box computer was a tweaked version

tup, Mar 28, 6:52am
so alloy would warp easier i'm thinking! thanks a.woodrow.:)

unbeatabull, Mar 28, 6:54am
Differences -

Different Head - bigger exhaust valves, different cam. Higher pressure fuel regulator.
Computer has tweaks to give more fuel/power
Seats, gauges, trim package etc
Bigger wheels (16")
Stiffer shocks + Springs on front & rear

From memory its about 20kw more from the motor which is quite noticeable.

Bottom end and exhaust system is the same as far as engine goes.

tup, Mar 28, 7:41am
thanks unbeatabull.:)

grangies, Mar 28, 7:54am
Just remember that apart from the front guards forward, the 1997 XR6 shares it's ute body from the same Falcon ute model that went way back into the 1980's.

franc123, Mar 28, 8:06am
Not quite, the XH body has a different more curved roof pressing and different rear window and surround, the spare wheel compartment under the tray was deleted and replaced with a winch, and a full width plastic bumper was fitted compared with XD-XG. The earlier canopys don't fit XH's either. The engine was only a few kw more powerful than the standard EF EL one used in the same era cars, it had the single drive belt but was otherwise more similar to the ED XR6 engine with the tickford head etc, it only used the log style manifold as per all the EA-ED multipoint injected 3.9/4.0 engines and not the dual ram one (???computer torque control???) used on EF-BF.

franc123, Mar 28, 8:10am
Lol all the sixes used alloy heads, 1980 was the last of the iron ones.

xpfairmont, Mar 28, 8:54am
Which were built on the same chassis as the XA's

tup, Mar 28, 9:40am
Great info. I bought it and I LOVE it!omg what a cool wagon.hard to believe it's only four years older than my AU though as it certainly feels like my old EA's.very clunky, solid, old styling. but wow it has got far bigger kahundas than any falcon i've driven yet.:)thanks for all the info. hugely appreciated.:)