Dumb car names!

Page 3 / 3
shazzie10, Mar 28, 12:28am
There's a car called March(not sure what make). I have always wondered if it's March as marching or is there a January, February, April, etc. as well!

kwkbrk, Mar 28, 2:58am
Cruize! Surely you mean Cruise!

funkydunky, Mar 28, 3:06am
Ferrari Dino always got me "Wilma! Wilma!"

freedomaira320, Mar 28, 3:08am
Somehow Dino Ferrari, after whom the car is named, comes up in my mind way before the Flintstones.

bellky, Mar 28, 3:17am
Toyota Runx.

ffs what were they thinking.

westwyn, Mar 28, 4:26am
Believe it or not, it's actually Run-X. us stupid gaijin muddy up the pronounciation.

freedomaira320, Mar 28, 4:30am
Haha! I've never heard anyone call it anything but Run X. It's written RunX, which logically means the x is pronouncedseparately. Still a silly name, but can't believe people are pronouncing it Runx.

westwyn, Mar 28, 4:36am
Most of the names quoted here are simply a result of cross-language translation and intepretation, and since Japan is the predominant source of our used cars, we see the domestic nameplates attached to them, not the export-market ones. In most cases the "parent" name is the one in Japan, with re-naming or modification to suit the export market if sold elsewhere. Eg- Toyota Vitz- sold in various guises and countries as a Yaris or Echo, but at the end of the day, it's still a Vitz first and foremost.

Mazda Axela- Mazda 3, Atenza- Mazda 6, Toyota Estima-Toyota Previa, Nissan Wingroad- Nissan Pulsar, Nissan March- Nissan Micra, Honda Fit- Honda Jazz, Mitsubishi RVR- Mitsubishi ASX, Mitsubishi Galant Fortis- Mitsubishi Lancer. the list goes on. Despite the best attempts by new distributors here, most of the above are far more common on NZ roads as the Japanese badge, than the NZ one- as a dealer, you are far more likely to be asked for the Japanese badge than the NZ one, even if the client actually MEANS the NZ version.

If we imported our cars from the old Eastern Bloc, we'd have been saddled with stuff like Wartburgs, Zaporozhets (sp!), FSO (hang on, we were, for a brief moment.) etc. think I'll stick to the Japanese names, thanks!