Must you have your licence on you when driving?

Page 1 / 2
gag5, Mar 22, 7:28am
Is this correct! Stopped at police checkpoint on way home from work & couldnt produce my licence as I dont always take wallet to work.I know in Oz you have 7 days to produce it.

gunhand, Mar 22, 7:34am
YES pretty sure you do., but it will depend on your attitude at the time how they decide to proceed after you realise you left it in ya other pants.

mm12345, Mar 22, 7:37am
Yep - $55 fine if the cop is in a bad mood.

kezza46, Mar 22, 7:43am
$55! I thought it was $150lol ,I got stopped once and cop told me I was a smartarse because I know my license number.and no fine eitherlol

kazbanz, Mar 22, 7:46am
legally required to carry it whilst driving

mm12345, Mar 22, 7:49am
I checked it out, because I lost (as in couldn't find) my license last year, would have been $40 or so for a replacement, but it needed to be renewed in feb this year anyway.
I deliberately broke the law of the country for 6 months or so.
When I get older, I'm going to put all my assets in trust, buy a stinking great car, and drive it around with no WOF, no reg, no license, I won't pay any fines, and if I time it right, it'll save me retirement home fees.

gag5, Mar 22, 7:53am
I stayed very calm even tho the `officer` was a jumped up smart alec, hinted that I was a disqualified driver (I have been driving for over 40 yrs with nothing more than a parking ticket) spoke to me like I was a naughty schoolkid & threatend to book me if he caught me again!

mm12345, Mar 22, 7:57am
Par for the course.
I give them sh1t these days.Pulled up to a car full of them a few months ago, and gave them a lecture because one of their brake lights wasn't working.The expression on the drivers face was priceless.

gag5, Mar 22, 7:58am
yeah he suggested I leave it in my vehicle - well, thats not helpful if you have more than one vehicle - or you are in a work vehicle etc.

luckily not booked this time - I would have been very upset if I had been. An arrogant overweight half my age arsehole! & I don`t use words like that very often!
The Oz idea sound like a good one.

kezza46, Mar 22, 8:01am
you'd think that you could renew it early if it needs replacing.now I think about it properly,they would be losing out on $40 from one person.how many country wide!,Your last part of your comment sounds like a great kiwi saver scheme.might sign up myselflol

mm12345, Mar 22, 8:03am
When the law acts to protect people from others who act in a manner which might harm them in some way - it's good.
When people obey "the law" unquestioned "because it's the law" then society has lost the plot.In many ways, we've lost the plot - but other countries are worse.

mm12345, Mar 22, 8:09am
To save myself the $40 (at a slight risk of a $55 fine) I went through grief.My passport had expired, my birth certificate was the "old type" which isn't good enough as you need a "new type" (even though it's got the same crap on it) and $40 or whatever thank you.My lawyer was p1ssing herself laughing at my determination to not be be fleeced by the AA/NZTA cartel, when I had to sign official documents where I needed ID.

skin1235, Mar 22, 8:33am
not a good idea leaving it in the car either, if the car gets stolen you've just provided them with the base requirement of identity
long after you've reported both the licence and the car stolen they will both be used - and you will still be hauled in to answer

smac, Mar 22, 8:37am
You can.

kezza46, Mar 22, 8:40am
oh,there ya go.learn something new everydaylolthought it was on ya birthday.mmm.better see when mine expires

mm12345, Mar 22, 8:44am
It's two weeks after your birthday.Someone at the department of revenue collection and information collation was feeling generous when they decided to cancel the lifetime license we'd already paid for.

kokako14, Mar 22, 8:49am
Can??

bowla3, Mar 22, 9:02am
Was stopped by alaw mena few years back. Had a quick look at Rego & WOF.
"Do you have a drivers licence "!
"Yes, I've got one here somewhere"
Scratching around in glove box.
"You do have one"!
As I handed it to him I said, "Probably had this before you were born"
Don't think he appreciated my response.
I have the greatest respect for the NZ coppers. Went to join up myself many many years ago. "Too young, my boy, come back next year" I was told.
Joined RNZAF instead.
Licence is always in car.

xscrew, Mar 22, 9:05am
this has been law over ten years, when i was a prison officer i hated taking licence to work as it had address on it at the time. told this to cop one day when transporting ten crims and he still booked me!

kezza46, Mar 22, 9:09am
must have been a quiet day to stop a PTV

mm12345, Mar 22, 9:17am
Not many are exempt.There is an ID card that a few civilian folks have, that will allow them to be passed through checkpoints etc.If they got caught abusing it though, they'd be in rather deep sh*t.

kezza46, Mar 22, 9:19am
find themselves in the back of the van huh! lol

scuba, Mar 22, 6:11pm
lost my licence about 4 months ago-turned house upside down looking for it travelled around various shops pubsupermarket. asking questions turned house over again searched car .
Oh well probably have to bite the bullet and buy a replacement.

About 3 weeks later was looking for some forms of id before actually filling out forms when i hit the scan key on the printer.
nice picture of my licence comes up- i left the damn thing in the scanner while filling in a job application.

scuba, Mar 22, 6:13pm
what i hate is getting asked for id when i haven't broken any law and if i have left it behind i am liable for a fine--what a load of bollacks,

flack88, Mar 22, 7:31pm
IT will be good when they put a chip in yer nut,it wont matter then ,Robo cop will be able to scan you!Wont that be good.