Toyota Corolla Auris. 2007.

Page 2 / 3
vtecintegra, Sep 19, 5:35am
The suspension in the Blade is far softer than the Auris, and there is a hell of a lot more weight across the front.

There are loads of spec differences between the two models, even the most basic Blade has a lot more kit than any Auris

jmma, Sep 19, 5:36am
Wow this thread started almost a year ago, happy Birthday thread (o:

phalanax, Sep 19, 5:38am
Forgot to mention the 'superior front and rear sheetmetal' (stronger body) to handle the extra horses the Blade has.

tamarillo, Sep 19, 6:25am
We have a second thread added on to an old one, over year old. Jazz quote you rudely refer to was involved in that earlier different thread. Because of folk like you it seems jazz can't be bothered here anymore.

grangies, Sep 19, 8:27am
Where has the superior sheet-metal on the Blade been fitted to the front and rear?

The floor pan?

Have you got a link to show where? . Cheers.

lizzie51, Sep 19, 9:18am
Well yes, I did a search for the Toyota Auris - realised it was a year old but needed to ask a question so resurrected the old one. I really appreciated "most" of the advice and have acted on some of it.
Picked up the car and have it for the weekend. It is $10,700 plus on road costs. Compared with many others I believe it is value and style for the available $$. Purchase is now contingent on the inspection by Toyota service bods on Monday. Some many years back there was a hullabaloo about Japanese imports with false low speedo readings, now there is one about a genuine certified low speedo reading. yes, it may have been sitting around for long periods getting all seized up and wallowing in stale fluids - sounds like someone I know. LOL. But anything bigger and better had around 100,000 ks on the clock.
I am betting that low ks and sitting around is a better option for longevity than high Ks from stop - start driving on congested highways and byways in Japan. I agree with Kazbanz - unless you've been there - Japan's traffic/roads/driving issues are a mile away from ours.
Like the original OP I wondered if there were inherent problems with the model I had chosen.
I wasn't actually seeking advice on alternative drives.

The Blade and Aurus have the same size body but the bigger motor and what it takes to carry it. I would have gained nothing in interior space - just a bit of HP, mildly higher spec and about $5-6K more spend.
Thanks all.

grangies, Sep 19, 9:32am
Well good for you.

A car like that, if you're not too fussy, will most likely still be good enough in ten years from now.

ianab, Sep 19, 10:21am
"The Blade and Aurus have the same size body but the bigger motor and what it takes to carry it. I would have gained nothing in interior space - just a bit of HP, mildly higher spec and about $5-6K more spend.
Thanks all."

Fair enough. The Auris is a perfectly good car. Basically the same as a Corolla. You know what you are getting, and it should serve you fine.

The Blade Master is just a crazy version of the same car.

It's like the Toyota engineers where sitting around sipping the Sake one Friday night after work. And one says, "Bet you can't fit one of those V6s into an Auris" The others say "Just watch".

First time the wife rode in ours her comment was "You've got to be kidding" It's not a "little more power", it's about 2X the HP.

They are actually a nice car. Ride well, economy is pretty good if you are light on the gas. Interior is nice etc. Performance off the mark is an issue because it's front wheel drive. Most of the hot hatches with that much power are AWD. If you plant boot the traction control takes over to stop the wheels spinning, and you take off at sensible speed, but maybe using 1/2 the engine's power. Into 2nd at 50ks and you can plant boot and it really moves.

lizzie51, Sep 19, 10:23am
Thanks grangies - I hope I wear as well as the car. :-)

lizzie51, Sep 19, 10:27am
" It's like the Toyota engineers where sitting around sipping the Sake one Friday night after work. And one says, "Bet you can't fit one of those V6s into an Auris" The others say "Just watch".
First time the wife rode in ours her comment was "You've got to be kidding" It's not a "little more power", it's about 2X the HP."
Luvit!

Ianab #41 Thanks. I would have lurved a Blade sounds like kickass drive - will pick up a lotto ticket just in case.

lizzie51, Sep 19, 11:56am
That good news about the radio replacement. will need to get onto that asap. The screen covered in Japanese instructions and maps is an annoying distraction. at least it will have a band expander but. gotta go soonish.

kazbanz, Sep 19, 7:56pm
DONT waste your money on a band expander.A kiwi radio will cost you about $150 for something that looks like its :jap crap" ie looks factory so it ain't worth stealing.
OR you could fit like a JVC/Sony etc unit for about $200-$300
The hardest part of the install is if the factory head unit hasn't been replaced then the two side trims can be a bit stubborn.
To give you an Idea Im no superman or even a real installer but I can fit a Toyota head unit in under 15 minutes

lizzie51, Sep 20, 1:07am
Tnx Kazbanz. Band expander comes with deal or would be doing as you suggest.
When I bought the Mitsi i had a new radio/stereo installed. The guy who cane to pick up the car looked about14 but assured me he had a license. Next day i noticed the speedo wasnt working. long story short. transpired the kid overloaded the power system and blew a "circuit" in the computer. i spent a good long time driving with no speedo. in an effort to get it sorted. The Car Radio shop closed down and every time i talked to the owner he was "onto it". Eventually Malcolm Reid Electrical in Napier took it on for me and made a claim against the retailer's third party insce. He us a total star.
Cost over 2k to fix. plus numerous explanations to traffic cops about having no speedo.
Anyways, now I am considering a 2011 Suzuki sx4 hatch 2000c 62,000ks asking $12999
or another 2010 Suzuki SX4 63, 000 ks @$13990.
Toyota smartish look & nice drive but thats about it. bit low to the ground too.

Have to sell a heap of frox, bags n shoes and up the ante. Might have to throw in some jewellry too. lol.

Just wanted to get it over with but.

kazbanz, Sep 20, 1:49am
SX4 2.0l is all wheel drive but can be a bit thirsty.
If you want the height and don't need the AWD I'd grab a 1500 front wheel drive

brapbrap8, Sep 20, 2:29am
Yes 2L SX4 is quite thirsty!

lizzie51, Sep 20, 2:36am
Ok. thanks so much for that advice. Picking up a 1500cc one shortly for an overnighter. Are they lazy?

lizzie51, Sep 20, 2:44am
Energywise rating for Suzuki 2000cc 2011 N Z new is 4 i.e.8L per 100km. Or $2130pa.
1500cc import is rated 4.5 or $1900 pa.
A diff of $230 pa. doesnt look bad comparing apples with apples.

reggienz, Oct 13, 3:34am
Bro in law looking at one of these cars, 7000 K's. Are there any inherant problems with these cars? Seems like a good buy at $15k.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 3:44am
The problems I see with that one are two fold.

1. It's been sitting a LOT of it's life which isn't a good thing. Yet you are clearly paying even more of a premium on an already over priced car for the privilege.

2. Like all Auris's, it's not much car for the money.

It's probably not going to be a terrible vehicle by any means, but when you can buy a brand new Fiat Grande Punto with warranty etc for just another $2000 or so (I I know which I would be buying. (and it's not the Toyota)

Remember if they do buy it that despite the km's you would still want to go through and replace the coolant, brake fluid etc and if if it was me I would actually be putting new transmission fluid and of course an engine oil change as well. The reason being those fluids all break down with age even if no km's are travelled.

But yeah, I guess if you are one of these Toyota or nothing types and ARE prepared to go through and do what maintenance is required you will wind up with a functional and hopefully quite reliable vehicle. (wouldn't be surprised if there are a few minor issues early on from it sitting though)

andy61, Oct 13, 3:56am
Jazz .the OP asked about a Toyota Auris,where did they ask about Fiats? leave the Fiats out.

robotnik, Oct 13, 4:07am
Corollas don't have inherent problems. They are the most reliable cars there are.

You might want to look at the Blade as well which is the luxury version of the Auris.

msigg, Oct 13, 8:12am
One of the best cars on the road, will hold it's price well and serve you well. 7000km very low, as said above do get the coolant anti corrosion changed as this is very important for every engine. That done with regular servicing it will last twenty years.

intrade, Oct 13, 8:32am
loads of electronic problems on new toyotas basically you know mitsubihi electronic problems from the 90s. well almost all steped down to this level of the 90s mitsi its a bit more compley why to explai n but this is the short answer .
one problem is when the starter battry is not 100% you loose shift adaption and it starts whacking the gears in like hell till it relearns the new shifts and it will lose the adaption each time you start the car fresh, eventually destryoing the gearbox, This is one of mutch more problems of toyota and loads of other new electronic cars
basically you can go euro 3 and below has huge tollerances for errors or problems
euro 4 has tight tolerances euro 5 emission has extra tight tolerances and euro 6 has absolut extreem no room for any problem in its tolerances for faulty components on cars

now to a euro 0 car my 95 corolla has had the cat dead since probably 10 years and the 1 wire lamda is just not sending a signal no more to the ecu. no problem it drives almost as new with 320,000km as the sensors are not monitored and tolerances are huge for problems that can exist for ever and a day untill they become a issue.
a 2007 will throw a bad as woobly at you if it had these faults because the tolerance for error is close to 0 and all needs to function 100% at all times .

intrade, Oct 13, 8:45am
so back to the thing you need the service book and it must have been serviced 100% or i would walk away from it and buy something that was serviced . like i got me a 2001 bora fully serviced when i got it even had the original sales paper from uk with it.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 2, 2:18am
I actually disagree there, at that price and age I would anticipate at least as much depreciation over the next few years as most other cars of the size/price.

Ultimately in 10 years its going to be worth next to nothing like all similar cars of it's age and at most carry a premium of only $1000 or so compared to what else is available. The thing is though, at this point in time it's carrying a significant premium over most others so has to shed more value in that time.

There is no such thing as everyday cars that "hold their value". That's not how depreciation works. ALL cars depreciate in fits and starts, some have high initial depreciation others have low initial depreciation and so on and so fourth. The idea is to buy a car that has recently shed some value and is likely at the beginning of a slow depreciation period. I don't see this as one of those vehicles.