Cutting side walls out of tyres

Page 1 / 2
kenw1, Aug 7, 8:28am
Anyone got any tips on how to do this easily. Have about 40 to do. Just found them dumped in my dads section. Then I can get rid of them at the dump much more cheaply.

Thanks

monaro17, Aug 7, 8:31am
Jigsaw perhaps?

franc123, Aug 7, 8:41am
Big arse fishing knife does it, its going to be tough work doing that many. A power tool would be a plus.

bigfatmat1, Aug 7, 8:44am
cutting disc angle grinder gets through the steel easier

kenw1, Aug 7, 9:06am
Thanks people, have a big knife and will try it with a bucket of soapy water, then the jigsaw, if not then a sabre saw.

Just got to separate them into 3 bits tread, and 2 sidewalls, otherwise 25 bux each.

muzz67, Aug 7, 9:15am
Hoon around the sidewall with a big knife, just missing the steel belts at the edge of the tread. cut across the tread with a skill saw with an old blade.
should be able to fit all 40 on a normal trailer.

ambo11, Aug 7, 10:54am
Put them on the side of the road with a $100 sign, they will all be nicked by morning

tard_me1, Aug 7, 12:57pm
Nice one

skiff1, Aug 7, 1:31pm
I use a sabre saw to do tractor tyres. Easy as

marte, Aug 7, 2:14pm
Angle grinders 'grab' when cutting into tyres.
Its a pretty damn dangerous way to do it.
Actually the most dangerous anglegrinder situation I have been it.
I was cutting thru the rim of the tyre/ali rim to get the tyre off the rim so I could recover the rims for the ali.

bigfatmat1, Aug 7, 7:08pm
use the able grinder the correct direction next time :-)

muzz67, Aug 7, 7:39pm
grinders/jigsaw/recipro-saw,, all hopeless on car tyres. Tried them all.

serf407, Aug 7, 7:52pm
tyre shredder might do it
http://www.evashred.co.nz/content/ev60c

kenw1, Aug 7, 8:45pm
Thanks all, big knife and sabre saw for the trucky type tyres. That will be fun the next time I am there.

Then we can fill the cage trailer up with bamboo and throw these on top, such fun :-)

m16d, Aug 7, 8:49pm
Grinders are good for filling the workshop with smoke.

kazbanz, Aug 7, 8:54pm
SHARP stanley type bladed knife. cut into sidewall where it joins the tread.
Cut in a circle and bingo sidewall on one side detached. repeat for the other side. You should end up with two flat disks and a flat "belt" of tread.
This is the way I understand its done properly

seadubya, Aug 7, 9:32pm
I have seen them cut successfully on an old bandsaw.

brapbrap8, Aug 7, 11:42pm
Offer them to your nearest farmer, most would happily take them off your hands for silage stacks.
I got about a dozen truckloads of tyres delivered for my silage stack and that was barely enough. Tyre shops actually have a waiting list of people wanting old tyres.

desertcolt07, Aug 8, 12:30am

3tomany, Aug 8, 12:32am
this stick em on here for $1

lookoutas, Aug 8, 6:12am
Same here.

intrade, Aug 8, 7:19am
i used a standley knive and the other day my swiss army knive i then fold the tyre flat and tye it with string while standing on it and then it fits in the rubbish bag the whole tyre ;)

intrade, Aug 8, 7:21am
there is no waiting list in whangarei i can guarantee you that the tyre guy gets charged extra for disposal of his cut up tyres in his huge rubbish bin. and they charge almost 5$ a tyre as whole its why i put em out with the bag in the rubbish.

richynuts, Aug 8, 7:53am
Silage not so common now as most farmers are making baleage nowdays.

marte, Aug 8, 8:34am
I used to work a milling machine in a machinist shop.
As a floor matt to stand on, we had three strips of truck tred tied together as a matt.
It was exellent, kept you off the floor and didn't burn when hot metal chips hit it.