Backseat question, re law and removal.

Page 1 / 2
mr_lovebug, Jun 25, 9:40am
Looking at taking the whole back seat out of the car, also thinking taking all the rear seatbelts out too, would like to put a bolt in for the dog harness so that the dog is safe.

I have been advised to use plywood for a base to even out the area for my needs to carry computers in the back of the car, as I can't fit much in the boot and the back seat angles are wrong for me at the moment.

What are my chances of getting problems are is what I am wanting to do going to be fine for a WOF in a private motor car?

This is not a company car, it's just that I no longer want a back seat.

slarty45, Jun 25, 9:50am
I sometimes take back seats out of my Vitara, no one ever sits in them, but have to put back in to pass wof.

mr_lovebug, Jun 25, 10:05am
I am thinking of taking them out of the car and leaving them out for good.

How will this plan impact on the wof's I go for. ?

saxman99, Jun 25, 10:08am
Try it and find out.

ml6989, Jun 25, 10:47am
You should come unstuck if the WOF inspection is done correctly. If the vehicle is registered as a 5 seater then the inspector is required to find all the seating positions and all the seat belts. You probably can go through the process of getting the vehicle class changed, but I am unsure how or who will do that.

snoopy221, Jun 25, 10:51am
BOOT.

Station wagons can do-as 60 per cent cargo.

mack77, Jun 25, 11:42am
I've been through this process. I only have the two front seats fitted, the other four seats have been permanently removed from my old Honda Odyssey. The problem started when I turned up to the testing station when at that time only the drivers seat was fitted. The owner of that testing station says "you have to have all seats in or else change the vehicle class". I said that's not true and drove out and phoned the NZTA whom agreed that he was wrong and told me to get him to phone them and gave me a 10 digit reference no. for him to quote to them(as all the details of my complaint were logged on their computer).
The testing station owner phoned me back the following day and said he had talked to the NZTA and just snapped "bring it in" (referring to my car); without apologising for wasting my time.
I didn't take it back to him but went to a local garage and have never been back to that Testing Station again.
This was about four or five years ago.
You can download all the requirements for a WOF from the NZTA website; it's only about 60 pages and many of the rules involve decisions that depend on the judgement of the testing officer. It's not all black and white.
My car still has only two seats (although it only requires the drivers seat for a WOF) and I have never had any trouble since, as I shouldn't have of course; unless the rules have changed, which they quite often do.
Mind you it's very difficult for garages to keep up with all the changes and complicated requirements but the VTNZ Testing Station owner should know better, because he only does testing.

msigg, Jun 25, 7:12pm
Yes all a load of rubbish, you may have to put them back in at warrant time. all depends how the warrant guy is, if he is a normal good guy kiwi then all good, if he is a stickler for the rules then might have to put them back in. Nothing to do with safety, all to do with bulldust.

mopeds, Jun 25, 7:15pm
As long as you remove the seat belts you'll have no problem getting a WOF.

kazbanz, Jun 25, 8:40pm
THAT is exactly how I understand the law.
Fitting EXTRA seats isn't allowed without LV. Removing seats AND belts from a vehicle with more is fine.

mopsy3, Jun 25, 10:18pm
It has nothing at all to do with being a 'good kiwi' his job is on the line and his companies ability to continue to issue W.O.F's is on the line.

frytime, Jun 26, 3:07am
Rules just changed. No sear = can't fail seat belt = pass

dave653, Jun 26, 4:25am
Dad removed his rear seats and belts while I sorted the nonexistant rust it was failed on. Just had to rereg as a two seater. Rust issue fixed, seats and belts back in, rereg again as a 5 seater.

brapbrap8, Jun 26, 5:42am
It must be legal, or how would it work for all the many thousands of 7/8 seater SUVs and Vans getting around with the 3rd row of seats permanently removed?
Our Prado passes WOFs fine without rear seats, but with seatbelts still in.

petermcg, Jun 26, 6:53am
When the vehicle is a 5 seater it is always going to be able to have 5 seats if requiired, there is no problem removing the seats and seat belts that are unused, the inspector should note on the form that seats and belts were not in at the time of inspection, so as to cover incase you bolted in something that was unsatisfactory.

ml6989, Jun 26, 9:16am
Read the VIRM, You may still need to change the class of the vehicle. Simply removing them is not an option.

supernova2, Jun 26, 10:06am
If vehicle is a class MA what are you suggesting it could be changed to? I'm guessing it will come down to the definition of the words "seating position". Is that a seat or a place where a seat could be fitted? eg Pug307SW.

franc123, Jun 26, 10:24am
Exactly, in most cases there is no other class it can be fitted into. Vehicles like Toyota Estima for example removing the rearmost seat doesn't turn it from MA to NA, to convert a 5 seat wagon into a 2 seat you have to know what the payload is, which is fine if you have access to the manufacturers GVM and therefore you can calculate the payload then apply NZTA's formula, but if you can't prove the GVM. ?

ml6989, Jun 26, 10:54am
#17 and #18, have you read and understood the relavant section of the VIRM?

supernova2, Jun 26, 11:18am
I think I have. If you think I'm wrong, and i could be, exactly which section of the VIRM are you referring 2?

movnon, Jun 27, 6:58am
I had an 8 seater Estima for 5 years with the 6/7/8th seats removed but the shoulder straps intact. The lap part of the belts are secured to the seat structure, if seats are reinstalled they instantly become compliant. I had no issues with seatbelt requirements for any WOF.
I never carried more than 4 passengers & the extra space was always handy.
Of course there are always nitpicking & impractical wof inspectors (buerocrats not mechanics).

mack77, Jun 27, 8:21am
What everybody needs to accept is that each "inspecting officer" will have a different understanding of what is required in the case of seats being removed. If you read my posting (#7) you will see that the NZTA didn't require me to change the class of my two seater Honda Odyssey and they obviously told the "inspecting officer" at the VTNZ testing station the same thing. When he refused to give me a WOF he wrongly believed that I had to change the vehicle class. After I complained to NZTA he accepted there "ruling" and said that it was a grey area.
My advice is: "phone the 0800 no. for NZTA" and make a complaint if any WOF inspector declines to give your vehicle a WOF because the seats have been removed.
As pointed out above, there are plenty of vehicles on the road with seats removed and with WOF's.

ml6989, Jun 27, 9:18am
VIRM, Section 7, Reasons For Rejection, Modifications, Read in conjunction with Note 3 and the following
Table 7-1-1 Modifications that do not require LVV certification

Note LVV certification is not required where the only modification is the removal of seats and/or seatbelts. However, a class change and a new load rating may be required in some cases.

The last sentence is my point in #16

supernova2, Jun 27, 11:38am
Did you also read this page?
http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-interior/seatbelts-and-seatbelt-anchorages

In particular Note 21.

Post 16 made the bold statement that simply removing was NOT an option. In reality is is a very valid option.

Post 24 the operative words are "MAY" and "SOME" not "MUST" and "ALL"

ml6989, Jun 27, 11:12pm
I accept that the operative words are as above. But reading and understanding the VIRM before removing components or systems would be wiser than just doing it and then crying when you come unstuck. Hence my statement --- ". is not an option"