So I have discovered a stupid law.

27pukeko, Jan 6, 9:37am
Apparantly if you have a 4wd there is no restrictions on the tints you can get, but if you have a 2wd you can only go to 35%.
Not impressed!
The 2wd version of my car looks exactly the same as the 4wd version :o(
I hate senseless laws!

morrisman1, Jan 6, 9:40am
I think you will find that it has more to do with the classification of the vehicle rather than how many wheels are connected to the engine

phillip.weston, Jan 6, 9:47am
Not true at all. Class MA passenger vehicles (ie every day sedans, wagons and hatches) regardless of their drivetrain configuration can only have as dark as 35% tints on all side windows and rear window UNLESS the vehicle was factory fitted with darker tint on the rear passenger and cargo windows which many mid 90s onwards Jap vehicles were fitted with.

If you vehicle is of commercial nature (ie a van, ute or 4x4 registered as such) then it can have darker tints on the rear windows but the front side windows still may not exceed more than 35% darkness.

hrt, Jan 6, 8:40pm
I think the comment is more regarding the likes of a 4WD and a 2WD Rav for example. One meets the class as a 4WD and can have dark tints on rear windows but the other doesn't. Though the same thing applies with the factory tint on an MA class car like a Subaru with dark dark tints on the back, but if yours didn't comes with it that dark from the factory you're not allowed to put your own on that dark.

jason_247, Jan 6, 9:12pm
only if you want too pay an extra $400 each year registering it as a commercial vehicle and even then front windows still have to be 35%

hrt, Jan 6, 9:46pm
What have rego costs got to do with anything! You can have identical vehicles (one 2WD and one that comes as a 4WD) that are classed as MA or MC (depending on how many wheel drive they are) that changes what tinting they're allowed. Vehicle licencing costs have nothing to do with it

gadgit3, Jan 6, 10:03pm
Class MA is 35% all round
MB, NA and MC can be any level on rear windows
MC is 4WD with large entry and exit angles.Most 4WD cars dont come into this class.
NA is a commercial vehicle
And the level of tint for a 4WD subaru wagon is the same as the level a 2WD subaru wagon can have. there is no loop hole it's your reading it wrong.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 6, 10:15pm
Concise and correct.

27pukeko, Jan 6, 10:52pm
Arr the tint man told me I could only have 35% tints as my car is a 2wd but if it was a 4wd I could have more.Think my car already has tints but they are very light - will have to go and see how much darker the 35% are and if it is worth spending the money (car a Mitsubishi Airtrek btw)

gadgit3, Jan 6, 11:03pm
Tint man is talking a load of poos.

27pukeko, Jan 7, 1:45am
Sounds like it!
So how would the person doing the warrant know if it had darker tints if they were factory or not!

edangus, Jan 7, 1:51am
They have a little tool at VTNZ (they used it on one of my cars)

carmedic, Jan 7, 1:54am
You guys never have a kind word to say about VTNZ, do you!

hrt, Jan 7, 1:57am
The Subaru comment was in regards to AS2 glass over standard glass. Nothing to do with 4WD or not

edangus, Jan 7, 2:09am
oops. definately not intended.

27pukeko, Jan 7, 2:24am
Lol at VTNZ - they have failed my V8 twice - once cause the 32 year old engine was too dirty, and once cause one of the highbeams was slightly high.Sadly they are fast and convenient and open on a Saturday morning so I still use them.

Anyway, I digress, the tint man also told me I could go a higher percentage with my tints if my mechanic 'turned a blind eh' lol.My next question would be, if i had illegal tints, would this void my insurance if I had an accident!

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 7, 2:47am
Only if the fact they were too dark was material to any actual crash.

gadgit3, Jan 7, 2:48am
Yes it can affect your insurance.

27pukeko, Jan 7, 4:04am
jeez just realised i wrote 'eh' instead of 'eye'.My ability to write worsens by the day!

Okay, well, will take the car to the tint people and see how much darker 35% will be than what I already have.Might have to invest in one of those parcel shelf tray things that slide in and out

granada, Jan 7, 4:09am
There was a law that said if you had a solid partition behing the drivers seat you could go as dark as you like on the rear windows but had to have 35% max on driver and front passenger windows . All the speed camera vans used to have the partition . is this still the case

NZTools, Jan 7, 4:12am
A speed camera van is a commercial vehicle, (class NA) so it can have tints as dark as it likes regardless of wether there is a partition or not.

27pukeko, Jan 7, 5:11am
it is only the rear passenger windows and the windows around the rear of the wagon I want done.Only because I cart my horse gear in there and it is a hassle to have to take it out if I want to leave the car parked somewhere if I am off shopping etc