Additive for valve stem seals

morrisman1, Jan 29, 6:35am
I have an engine that has sat for a couple years, Its a SR20VE. It goes like stink but the valve stem seals are obviously a bit dry presumably from the storage period. Are there any additives you can put in the oil to help reduce the oil going down the stems? Preferably by conditioning the seals or something. Im not interested in something that makes the oil as thick as lard as this engine lives sees 8500rpm frequently and oil pressure will go through the roof (they run about 90psi anyway). It currently has 10w40 magnatec in it.

Because the engine runs so good anyway Im reluctant to pull it apart just for this issues, hence why looking for a solution in a bottle.

ema1, Jan 29, 6:41am
Worth a go MM how's it going man?
http://www.wynns.net/product/i/engine-stop-leak

mrcat1, Jan 29, 8:08am
Why not just change stem seals in place? Could you not take rocker cover off, cam/cams out and just replace the stem seals and then reassemble?

petal_91, Jan 29, 9:19pm
Forte seal conditioner might help. They sell it on trademe.

twincam1, Jan 29, 9:21pm
No additive will fix worn seals.

smac, Jan 29, 9:29pm
I know of stuff you put on them before storage, but not once they're hard.

martin11, Jan 29, 9:45pm
Probably gone hard and they are also split now . Change them its not hard to do .

ema1, Jul 15, 2:14pm
Worth a try as it isn't a big outlay if it doesn't work then you may need to resort to replacing the seals. cheers.