Lost keys for 1993 Toyota Corolla.

mekongmike, Apr 17, 9:04am
Sons car. lost keys. no spare keys. also drivers door lock barrel stuffed.
I have been told without Drivers door lock barrel you can't get a new key.
So (apart from a replacement Ignition and keys) how else can I get this car going again and what about the steering lock ?
It seems to me that there are talented people out there who know how to do this. I don't mind if it means you can start it with a screw driver or any old key afterwards as it is an old car and not worth stealing. but it all he can afford !

jmma, Apr 17, 9:16am
Ah yes, we are going to tell you how to steal a car (o:
Or take rego number to Toyota dealer and they will get you one.

mekongmike, Apr 17, 9:23am
Hah. If I DID want to steal a car I would NOT choose a 93 Corrolla. I tried Toyota dealer AND locksmiths plus my local garage and they all said the same thing. Can't get a key without drivers door lock barrel. Our mechanic said he could replace with a secondhand ignition and keys but it would cost us too much for the condition of the car.

jmma, Apr 17, 9:39am
Boot lock should be the same? Or Passengers door?

snoopy221, Apr 17, 9:48am
Check passenger door lock-the number and letter code may be on it as well as the drivers. Take it it's an import and not NZ new for toyota not to have the code on file against the rego

72xu-1, Apr 17, 10:20am
Used import or NZ new?

toyboy3, Apr 17, 8:58pm
Take the damaged drivers door lock to the locksmith it is the only one on the car with the numbers stamped ,and get a key cut to the number

mekongmike, Apr 17, 9:17pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. It is only the drivers door that has the correct lock to match the ignition. all the other locks have less details.
And this drivers lock was damaged and my son removed it. and has LOST it ! What to do ?
If I drill out the pins in the ignition chamber so it can be turned with a screw driver. will that disengage the steering lock as well ? Or will I have a car that starts but can't steer ?

supernova2, Apr 17, 9:35pm
Simply remove the entire steering lock ignition from the columm. The ignition switch bit can then be removed and can be operated with a screwdriver or any other item that fits into the small hole.

Down side of this is that there is then no way of securing the car.

A locksmith can cut a key from just giving then the lock. Like anything that will come at at a cost -lots of cost.

kazbanz, Apr 17, 9:53pm
mekongmike--I would suggest removing the ignition lock and taking it to a locksmith. From the ignition you will be able to get a key cut.
I'd remove the passenger door lock and the hatch lock and see if the key to the ignition also works those locks.
If it does then you might be able to reverse the lever on one of them so it becomes the drivers door lock. Then blank the hole from which ever door it comes from.
The cost of keycutting from a barrel should be about $80

mekongmike, Mar 9, 2:59am
Hey , thanks for the advice guys. It looks like removing the ignition barrel is the only real option and either get keys cut from that or replace with another ignition barrel and keys. Thanks very much.