Tree falls on van

purplegoat, Nov 30, 5:57pm
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/74533866/Three-flown-to-hospital-after-van-trapped-under-tree-near-Arthurs-Pass?cid=app-iPad

Saw this thread on stuff this morning where they state the tree fell on the vehicle . What they fail to mention until the end of the article is the tree fell over cause the idiots left the road and hit the tree .
Well that's one less incompetent driver on the road and thank god they didn't veer the other way and have a head on .

muzz67, Nov 30, 6:00pm
I feel sorry for the tree.

mm12345, Nov 30, 7:02pm

gsimpson, Nov 30, 9:25pm
The Oamaru to Palmerston section is bad for tourist drivers. Particularly Moeraki turnoff. There is no excuse for that crash. Wonder whether it is driving on wrong side due to brain fade or poor choice of overtaking?

mm12345, Nov 30, 10:14pm
The figure I heard being quoted on Nat Radio last week was that foreign drivers "at fault" accounted for 14% of road fatalities.
I'd like to see deeper analysis of that - particularly the "type" of accident, failure to give way and failure to keep left. Most rentals are modern, multi air-bag equipped, somewhat safer for occupants than the average car in the NZ fleet, so at least if other vehicles aren't involved, chance for survival of the tourists is improved - as well as the fact that they're often driving slow and not paying attention, perhaps more of a hazard to other road users than themselves.
I dropped in at workshop for rentals where a mate worked as mechanic. At the back of the yard well hidden from public view was a stack of horrific blood-stained wrecks, each with a story - most not fatal of course. Another story came out - that there was some implied pressure to downplay/keep quiet about how often this was happening, to sweep it under the carpet, as it could be bad for business.

richardmayes, Dec 1, 12:12am
Klondyke corner is not "West of Arthur's pass". presumably this is an article from the Auckland Herald?

I'm not going to pile onto the "bl**dy asian tourists!" bandwagon on this occasion.
My mother and father discovered a crash in the Waikato recently where a car collided with a tree much further away from the road than this one, and the driver of that car was killed. But he was a young white New Zealander driving on his own, and it wasn't a horror story with multiple generations of a family wiped out, so it did not really serve the "foreign tourists are a menace on our roads!" narrative, or the "speed and drunk driving is a menace on our roads!" narrative, so it wasn't in the news and we didn't debate the rights and wrongs of it on here.

pge, Aug 12, 5:03pm
"Chch Press" article.

They should've known better.