New set of tyres

Page 1 / 2
jh34, Dec 8, 11:29pm
My wife??

mm12345, Dec 8, 11:46pm
OK - I'll ask a question and get ready to share the popcorn.

VTNZ probably put a tread-depth measurement for each tyre on the original (reject) WOF form - which you'll have. What were those measurements?

bjmh, Dec 8, 11:52pm
I got the drinks ready. waiting patiently

jh34, Dec 8, 11:56pm
Axle 1 L3, R3
Axle 2 L4,R4

tamarillo, Dec 9, 12:04am
Ok, I'll get the ball rolling and see what comes of it.
Absolute min is 1.5. I think of it as 2 as I've had tyres which I thought were at 2 but had 1.5 at worst spot. Most tyres start around 8. So there is 6 to play with between 2 and 8. On that scale of 6 the ones at 3 score just 1. The two at 4 score a 2 out of 6.
Legal yes. Damn near stuffed yes.
IMO if your getting one new tyre your best getting 4 to match.
Others WILL disagree so wait for it.

jh34, Dec 9, 12:05am
175/65R14 82H Maxxis MA -P3 4@75.65 302.6
Fit Balance Disposal 4@ 28.7 114.8
Wheel Alignment 60
GST 71.6

toyboy3, Dec 9, 12:12am
Looks like you found a tyre salesman who is after his Christmas bonus

mr_bond, Dec 9, 12:14am
Net result = you're wifes car is a lot safer and hopefully you're good for another 40,799 kms. 40,800 kms is good for tyres in my experience, however I bet I use mine differently to your wife!

807, Dec 9, 12:34am
in your Aston Martin, Mr. Bond ?

jh34, Dec 9, 12:54am
It is just an Echo and she drives it around town.

2sheddies, Dec 9, 3:14am
Bit of a rip off to be charged all that extra for fitting and balancing. Most tyre outfits do that gratis when you buy new shoes.

mm12345, Dec 9, 4:42am
There's no such thing as a free lunch.
OTOH $175 &GST for fit and balance, disposal, and alignment does seem a bit on the steep side, and I don't think the price on the tyres was very good either. So ouch IMO.

tamarillo, Dec 9, 4:45am
I make it $104.35 inc fit and balance. $135.65 inc gst.
$60 exc or $69 inc gst for wheel alignment is also cheap.
Seems good.

tamarillo, Dec 9, 4:51am
I suggest the costs are simply built in to tyre price quoted.

2sheddies, Dec 9, 4:53am
Yeah you'd be right about the free lunch! I spose they do build the fitting/balancing into the price of the new tyres as a hidden extra. but as you say in this case it does seem excessive. $60 for an alignment is about average though.

2sheddies, Dec 9, 4:54am
Snap!

mm12345, Dec 9, 5:45am
Too late now. I kind of guessed that the OP might be in Chch with a nail in a tyre. Tyres 2 Go Chch would be my #1 recommendation for best prices/service. If you want to sip espresso and read the latest auto magazines while they swap out the tyres on your Veyron, than nah - probably not. For normal tyres for normal cars at very good prices and quick service on the spot, the owner is running a perfect business.

bwg11, Dec 9, 5:54am
I'll go with VTNZ on this one. Axle 2, both at 4 mm are only half worn and replacing them on round town hack is just a waste of money. Sorry to say it, but the tyre shop saw you coming. The two you paid a "disposal" fee on will now be in the secondhand "warrant-able" rack at $40 each.

jh34, Dec 9, 6:09am
I wasn't given any paper work until I phoned up (just credit card receipt).

supernova2, Dec 9, 10:44am
If it were me I'd be going back to the tyre guy and doing my balls. You have been defrauded end of story.
Also just because there was a nail in the tyre may not mean it needed to be replaced.
If you tyres had done 40K and now down to 4mm if we assume they were 8mm new you still have approx another 30k to go before they are stuffed.

You have been ripped off, go back and demand a refund and your old tyres back. The law is on your side as under the CGA any service must be supplied correctly. Telling you that new tyres were needed is supplying a service that is incorrect.

bjmh, Dec 9, 6:33pm

bjmh, Dec 9, 6:36pm
I did a wof check yesterday,a ute had 2mm on all 4 tyres . which made it barely legal. the pic is one of those tyres that had been repaired and had a high spot in it . owner agreed to change the lot. then he can have his wof.

tamarillo, Dec 9, 7:15pm
Half worn but not half of usable life.

gazzat22, Dec 10, 1:25am
In this neck of the woods the normal deal is, Buy a new tyre(S) price includes fitting/balance/disposal. A 2nd hand tyre fitting/balance included and a disposal fee of up to $5 or you take the old tyre with you.

socram, Dec 10, 7:04am
40,000kms out of a lightweight car's tyres?

78,000 and needed just two on the 2005 Freelander.

60,000 on the Freelander 2 and only put 2 tyres on, as they were getting near the legal limit, but a couple of puncture repairs and they were noisy.

Someone got ripped off here - big time. I only buy reputable brands and fitting and balancing is always included.