VW Golf Airbags

jaybee321, Oct 16, 7:38pm
My daughter is looking at a VW golf hatchback as her first car. As we live on a busy country road this seemed like a good idea as they apparently all multiple 12 airbags. Now we have looked into it some have as little as 4 and others have 12 but we cant see consistency with models, year etc. Can anyone enlighten me as to what models, year have what number of airbags please.

vtecintegra, Oct 16, 7:52pm
I don't know where the often-repeated 12 came from

Mark 5 should have 8
- Front x2
- Side for front seats x2
- Side for rear seats x2
- Curtains x2

The later cars lost the side bags for the rear seats (not sure when) but this doesn't necessarily make them less safe (also the gained a knee airbag for the driver)

brapbrap8, Oct 17, 2:33am
Possibly jap import ones have less?
Japanese market doesn't seem to have the same focus on safety as we do, so late model imports can be rather lacking compared to NZ new models.

vtecintegra, Oct 17, 2:34am
Pretty sure in the case of the Golf the Japanese market cars were the same as the ones we got here as far as safety equipment goes.

timmo1, Oct 17, 3:29am
Haha that's why they drive around in new cars and we drive around in older ones right?

brapbrap8, Feb 1, 9:10am
I'm talking about if you compare say, a NZ new 2011 Subaru Impreza to a JDM 2011 Subaru Impreza you will find a very big difference in safety equipment.
Same with most other brands, most of the Mazdas and things that get imported are still only 2 airbags, when NZ new cars have had 6+ since the early 2,000s.