Ford capri

Page 2 / 2
golfdiver, Sep 2, 6:06am
I had a 71 gtxls. Lovely car apart from its unfortunate habit of snapping clutch cables

lookoutas, Sep 2, 6:27am
Need a pic of that.
Think you might have already done that ages ago, but a reminder would go astray.

purple666, Sep 2, 6:29am
The South Africans had the right idea with those Ganada's (think thats right), looked quite a bit like a mk3 Cortina but had a V8 in them.

mk3crazy, Sep 2, 7:16am
Don't have very good pic's but can send what I have to your email address of what I am doing to it. In the process of getting the 302w sorted and lots of upgrades.

gmphil, Sep 2, 7:33am
wasn't the Granada a 3.0 v6 oposited to the 2.8 and were the better one to have ?

gmphil, Sep 2, 7:34am
man those are rustangs for sure total pieces of crap neighbour had one

mk3crazy, Sep 2, 7:54am
South Africans made 2.5 V6 and 3.0 V6 Mk3 Cortina and just like the English Savage Mk3 Cortina V6. The South African made their version which was the Basil Green Mk3 Cortina Perana.

captaink, Sep 2, 8:11am
Brought a Mk3 Gt Cortina brand new in '72. Vinyl roof (WTF) and towbar with special order inertia seatbelts cost me $4079 on the road, Bloody expensive for a four cylinder, waiting list for Mitsi GTO was way too long, 3.3 Victor was a bit spartan but grunty, failed my next WOF because 'the seatbelts moved'.

purple666, Sep 2, 8:25am
I will always remember the manufacturers plate under the bonnet, the address of the plant was Plantation Road, this was back in the 70's and I am sure it was a V8. Yes for Capri's the Granada was the 3lt V6 with the bonnet hump.

Done a bit of research and Basil Green Motors built the Granada Perana with 302 V8 and you could buy them from Ford Dealers, was a long time ago, memory getting a little rusty.

franc123, Sep 2, 8:25am
Hell no those things are ghastly, and there is enough differences between them and the BF Familia mechanical bits to be a damn nuisance when finding parts. It was outclassed in every way by the MX5, handling, looks, build quality, rigidity, performance. Better chance of staying dry in the original Capri too.

franc123, Sep 2, 8:32am
How was that achieved? The pre '74 mk3 dash was substantially different in style and shape to the later ones.

gmphil, Sep 2, 8:56am
round dial as oposited the square instrument panel wasn't it man im getting old !
same syle early hunter if remember correct

mk3crazy, Sep 2, 10:07am
The old sloping dash was drilled out and replaced with a Mk5 dash from a wrecked car. Wasn't that hard to do, just drill out the factory spot welds and remove the old dash. The wiring engine bay and inside car is also out of Mk5.

lookoutas, Sep 5, 6:53am
You should not ask a Good'ol'boy a question like that.
Anything is possible - it just might take a bit longer.

Hey Mk3 - pretend to ask a question on my Mach1 listing. Then you can shoot me some pics.

I like a 2 door version of anything normally 4 door.
Reckon if I still had my MkI Z today, it would be a 2 door poster by now.

franc123, Jul 28, 6:20pm
OK fair enough, yes indeed anything's possible if you are prepared to put the work in. I suppose given the similarity of the Mk3-4-5 body structure in the screen aperture, firewall and A pillar areas it wouldn't be too hard, just never heard of anyone going to the trouble of doing it before. I can understand why, that early mk3 dash was appalling and obviously even Ford admitted it after a couple of years. Legend has it that some guy from Ford USA had shall we say a bit too much influence in the design of the all new Taunus Cortina and as a result it got both a Mustang dash and double wishbone suspension as compulsory design features, the latter of which was too hard to change but wasn't favoured by Ford Europe who preferred struts, but they did succeed in getting the far better intended for mk4 dash fitted earlier.