Wheel balancing

andrew147, Jun 23, 9:06am
A blast from the past, can anyone help. I am after an old Repco "On the car wheel balancer". These were reasonably common more than 20 years ago in some tyre shops and Garages. I am sure some older Mechanics would have seen one or even used one. The wheel is balanced on the vehicle and it balances the wheel hub and brake disc rotor all in one go by spinning the wheel once the vehicle is jacked up. There must be one somewhere stored in the corner of a garage, can anyone help? Thanks Andrew

toyboy3, Jun 23, 9:10am
I think you mean 30 years ago

budgel, Jun 23, 12:43pm
Yeah, I remember them, they were good for the Peugeots that had no hole in the centre of the wheel. I think they only did static balance though.

Havent seen one for years!

andrew147, Jun 23, 6:14pm
That's correct they only balanced the static component of the unbalance and not the couple component but because of the wheel rim offset the static component was always the biggest offender in the equation which was caused by a combination of the wheel now running on a different centreline when compared to its centreline it was running on the tyre balancer in the tyre shop.

budgel, May 8, 2:29am
I dont think I ever got any weights on the inside of my wheels with those. It probably didnt matter much with the skinny wheels of those days, the weights were never far from the centreline.

There was another type that was used a couple of times on my Peugeots.

The wheel lay flat on it and it had a level bubble in it, That's all I can remember.