Nissan diesels 2.7 or 3.2

rhys75, Sep 3, 7:57am
anything to look out for? is the 3.2 much more thirsty? im looking at nissan caravans 1996 -99 but have never owned either and are the automatic gearboxes allright?

rhys75, Sep 3, 8:01am
or maybe a elgrand? want something i can put a motorbike into occasionally and use for commuting and the odd camping trip arrrg.

intrade, Sep 3, 8:02am
what you need it for? most reliable are 4 cilinder toyota petrols from the 90s

monaro17, Sep 3, 8:04am
I had numerous Terranos including ones with the 2.7 and the 3.2 diesels. The 3.2 uses less fuel than the 2.7 and is MILES more powerful and has FAR more torque. It is a no brainer to get the 3.2. They are both bulletproof engines arguably the 2.7 is tougher but both are exceptional for their age.

rhys75, Sep 3, 8:25am
awesome thanks monaro 3.2 it is.

rhys75, Sep 3, 8:27am
and toyota hiaces are over priced and petrol engines are a joke intrade

thunderbolt, Sep 3, 8:28am
What are the autos like in the 3.2? Looking for a 4wd wagon to tow a double horse float.

Sorry for the thread hijack OP

rhys75, Sep 3, 8:35am
all good was wondering bout the gearboxes too,

franc123, Sep 3, 8:39am
Trust me you aren't going to be laughing when your QD32 electronic injector pump needs overhaul. You better be damn sure what you are buying has already had this work done, what you thought you were saving in fuel costs will evaporate quicker than a litre of 91 spilt on a hot tin roof. Good luck to you.

morrisman1, Sep 3, 8:46am
The 3.2 is a good tow wagon, done 4000km in one recently towing a car on a trailer with all the associated gear. Trundled along nicely. Used about 15L/100km with all that but we weren't mucking around. It had heaps of snot. Was an auto fitted with a trans cooler. Thats my only terrano experience though, but in the short period I thought it would make good value motoring.

horses7, Sep 3, 8:50am
Have owned Terranos with both 2.7 & 3.2 engines and while the 2.7 is a great engine the 3.2 kills it for power and fuel consumption about the same, towed horsefloats and caravans and have never had a transmission problem but always had a decent trans cooler fitted,in the case of the 3.2 it was factory standard but not sure whether it would be in the Caravan

monaro17, Sep 3, 8:54am
Best to have trans flushed (it is a must with ANY auto of this age now, chances are it hasn't been done for a long time if ever). Get a trans cooler fitted if towing regularly as a precautionary measure. Don't be put off by the injector pump story- yes some can give grief but any vehicle of this type/era is old now and has the ability to cost money. For example in the 3.0L Toyota diesel you will have cambelt/water pump replacements and the head cracking issue (also can be very expensive).

If these possible issues put you off then you shouldn't be buying a vehicle from this era

bwg11, Sep 3, 9:36am
I had a 2.7 Terrano years back. Motor was indestructible, auto trans needed a rebuild at 132k. Was thirsty, as the boot had to be right up it the time, particularly when towing. But apart from the lack of power, a great truck.

monaro17, Sep 3, 9:48am
I can remember when towing with my 2.7- when you pointed it towards a hill you needed to ensure the A/C was off because you needed every bit of power it could muster (something like 75kw)

bigmacca, Sep 3, 7:20pm
ive got a 3.2 auto navara. was non turbo but now has full aftermarket turbo setup. goes really well. The auto box works well however mine needs rebuilding . but yeah the engines are great and fairly easy to work on .

thunderbolt, Sep 18, 10:28pm
Any comments about the 3.3 Petrol versions? VG33.

I'm guessing fuel consumption with a double float will be up there, but are they prone to anything in particular?

mals69, Sep 18, 11:33pm
Mine pulls like the proverbial school boy up hill in power mode,
they love to rev and can handle it.
175K on my auto and runs like a charm, keep it in economy mode
99% of the time so auto not working as hard.
3.2 be better. Get 550 - 600 km per tank doing short runs.
Reason they transplanted TD27 into UK black cabs, 3.2 be just
as solid !

monaro17, Jun 8, 1:13am
x1
very smooth but also quite thirsty. I remember when I bought my 3.2 diesel a work mate also bought a v6 petrol. It was around easter time and as luck would have it we both were headed to wanaka. When we got back he was spouting on about how economical his v6 was on the trip- he was even more happy when I said my diesel version used pretty much the same amount of fuel . The difference being I was towing my caravan. That shut him up