Old tyres used for sealing roads.

bowla3, Aug 8, 4:33am
The other evening on 7 sharp was an article about used tyres.
At the end, a remark was made about sealing roads with them and being quieter to drive on.
Have checked on Google and this system seems to be used in the USA and other places.
I remember in the 1950s a 3 lane stretch of Great South Road just south of Wiri Station Road, could have been about 1km? that was very nice to drive on and it never had a shine, sun reflection or similar.
Have an idea this was made from recycled vehicle tyres. Any senior drivers recall this?

muzz67, Aug 8, 5:20am
Tyres probably didn't have steel belts back then.

rob_man, Aug 8, 5:25am
Concrete wheels and rubber roads, my idea is coming closer to fruition.

m16d, Aug 8, 5:50am
Replace the road every 50thou k's.

mk3zephyr, Aug 8, 7:10am
saw a machine in the states, shreds tyres and spits the steel belt out one end to be recycled and the rest of the tyre is ground up and added to bitumen, pretty cool idea, if i find it on youtube i will post the link up

westwyn, Aug 8, 7:19am
There has been extensive work done here in NZ on establishing a similar process- under the Waste Minimisation Act and "product stewardship" with worn-out tyres being the focus of the Tyrewise working group. There were several large-scale commercial interests looking at various uses, roading was one of them IIRC.

The project has failed at the final hurdle- at this stage- with the Minister refusing sign-off in the absence of what was seen as a couple of stumbling blocks.

But perhaps soon. ?

tintop, Aug 8, 7:31am
Auckland firm has been at it for about 20 years.

http://www.tyreshred.co.nz/products.shtml

intrade, Aug 8, 7:43am
i seen a tyre shredder machine for sale here once. re post 7

serf407, Aug 8, 7:50am
1950s it was likely imported bitumen etc for the road, not processed through Marsden Point.
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/chipsealing-new-zealand-manual/docs/01-history-of-chipsealing-in-nz.pdf

tintop, Aug 8, 7:51am
The problem is matching the supply and sale of product to the capacity of the machine.

Laughtons were well established in the waste collection / disposal business before they branched out to do tyres.

tintop, Aug 8, 7:57am
Thanks for that link - reading through it brings back many memories! lol

My stand alone pigeon loft was roofed with flattened out 44 gal drums.

I can remember the local council yard in the early 50's having a bitumen heater, and the bitumen in 44gal drums. I think it was straight run bitumen, although it may have been a bitumen emulsion.

melonhead1, Nov 1, 5:32pm
You could enact an ordinance in the computer game Simcity 3000 to use old tyres to make new roads. It lowered the cost of a square of road from $10 to $9.
Its a winner of an idea if it can work.