Windscreen Ring scratches

shane038, Mar 20, 8:28pm
Does anyone know of a way to repair Ring scratches on my windscreens of my cars? I have two cars and both have scratches in the drivers view from my Mrs wiping the window?

dublo, Mar 20, 8:51pm
It would probably take a lot of polishing to cut down to unscratched glass. I have even seen this on a vintage Bentley where every pane of glass was scratched.
Option 1: New windscreens
Option 2; (After fitting new windscreens) repossess her diamond rings.
Option 3: If all else fails and you love your cars consult divorce lawyer.

bill-robinson, Mar 20, 9:59pm
show her how to operate the demister properly then fit new screens

bigfatmat1, Mar 20, 11:44pm
Replace her diamond rings with burger rings then park cars and play some cricket. Make sure you have glass cover first

lookoutas, Mar 21, 4:28am
Suggesting?

racetoy, Mar 21, 4:31am
use jewelers rouge to cut the scratches out

reb53, Mar 21, 5:16am
If a windscreen place, or glazier, will sell you some cerium oxide you could get to work with a power buff, and a lot of care.
I've removed scratches from glass with it but it's pretty tedious, so you wouldn't want scratches that are too deep or you'll be at it forever.

clark20, Mar 21, 5:34am
easy

make sure you have glass insurance. find a rock. and the rest is history

johotech, Mar 21, 5:49am
Yeah, this.

If the windscreen already has a chip or two on the outside, a sharp bang with the side of a fist from the inside will make it replaceable, rather than repairable.

lookoutas, Mar 21, 8:47pm
Terrible suggestions - I won't be able to sleep - (for the rest of the day)

trade4us2, Mar 21, 9:00pm
I put a circle of thick leather in a power drill and put cerium oxide paste on it.
Don't let the windscreen get too hot. Wear a dust mask as cerium is not good to breathe.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/371406954.jpg

franc123, Mar 21, 9:34pm
+1, and the a/c in conjunction with the demister, about 95% of motorists think that a/c is used in summer only to keep you cool. Waste of time trying to polish it out, an amateur would probably end up putting ditches in it deep enough to distort the image you get through it, which if bad enough in the CVA would get chucked out at the next WOF ----> new screen needed anyway. That selenium oxide or whatever that abrasive crap is called is also rudely expensive to buy for what is it, it'd be money down the toilet.

pauldw, Mar 21, 9:54pm
Meanwhile you're crouched on the driver's seat trying to get a drill between the dash, steering wheel and the inside of the screen. Good luck!

kazbanz, Mar 21, 10:03pm
shane- I feel your options are
1) replace the screen
2) get the inside of the screen as clean as you possibly can and put up with the scratches.
3) take the car to somewhere like Novus and have them try to polish the scratches out.

mortluby, Mar 22, 1:47am
I had a work wagon with an awful lot of stone chips from all the re-roading work being done around Chch.

Mentioned it to the guy doing the WoF check and how hard it was driving into work in the morning with the low sun at this time of year.
He failed it on the warrant and insurance covered it under glass cover.

Edit: spelling

trade4us2, Mar 22, 2:49am
No problem. I have polished the scratches out of two windscreens and all the windows in this:
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get2/I0000E0wee9VX0V4/fit=1000x750/MB63425.jpg

dublo, Mar 22, 7:26am
Maybe I am a little dim, but what does that beautiful restored Wanganui tram have to do with this subject?

trade4us2, Mar 22, 7:41am
The windows were scratched around the edges, from people who are not careful with sandpaper. But also, the glass was stored for years with newspaper between the panes. So the printing became etched on to all the windows. A day's polishing with Cerium oxide fixed them.

peja, Mar 22, 10:13am
How much is it to have Novus do a screen polish? Inside is OK I think, just a lot of small scratches that have built up over years on outside

socram, Mar 22, 8:29pm
This. Or make her wear (driving) gloves. Before cars had aircon, driving gloves often used to have a chamois leather back.

catwoman1974, Apr 18, 10:17am
Sell her diamond ring to pay for a new windscreen