Recommendations for a mid sized car

Page 1 / 2
pedulla, Aug 9, 9:23am
sedan, not wanting people mover or small car - any one know about the mitsi lancers they advertising or any others

monaro17, Aug 9, 9:31am
also consider Mazda 3, Nissan Pulsar (perhaps), Hyundai Elantra, Kia Cerato

In my opinion avoid, Holden Cruze, Toyota Corolla, Suzuki Kisashi

pedulla, Aug 9, 9:33am
thanks yeah dont like the cruze at all so that was first one on the 'no' list, what about mitsi lancers? toyota camrys? im looking at a car with low kms

monaro17, Aug 9, 9:38am
A camry is a size larger than a lancer- the lancer competes with those mentioned in my last post, A camry competes with the likes of the Mazda 6, Ford Mondeo, Hyundai i45(sonata), Kia Optima.

There have been a few threads on here in the last few years around Lancers. Most owners seem to be very happy with them, high spec in SEI form and well priced. Most criticisms are around the fact it is a very old platform now and has quite bad road noise. The camry seems to be ok but in typical camry fashion is very bland and tends to be "just a car"

pedulla, Aug 9, 9:44am
thanks, lancer size is good enough size for my needs, just wondering why they are so much cheaper new than other cars.is it the size? have had a galant and served me well. will check out road noise, thanks

monaro17, Aug 9, 9:47am
I do not know the answer to that question but I would assume it is because the current shape lancer came out over a decade ago and although it has had more specification added to it, it is effectively running decade old technology and refinement (or comparatively lack there of). Therefore it must be cheap to produce

bwg11, Aug 9, 9:49am
I would place the Corolla and Kisashi way ahead of the Pulsar, Hyundai and Kia.

monaro17, Aug 9, 9:52am
personal preference I guess- thinking more I would drop the pulsar off my personal list. Nothing wrong with Hyundai or Kia- they score better than corolla and Kisashi in any motoring test I have read.

pedulla, Aug 9, 9:53am
thanks monaro, so now to decide what to look at.

msigg, Aug 9, 9:54am
The lancer has always been a good car, good size, god price, good looking, Nothing wrong with those, the Camry is a better car but will cost more and as said is bigger. take a lancer for a test drive, see what you think, i think you will be happy.

bwg11, Aug 9, 10:01am
Certainly personal preference. It would be a boring old world if we all had the same preferences.

pedulla, Aug 9, 10:08am
thanks yes we looked at that a month or so ago but seemed to have gone a full circle back to it, have driven camrys before but thinking i dont need that size. have loved my mitsi so will take lancer for a drive

just want a car with comfy seats - some of them are so uncomfortable!

pedulla, Aug 9, 10:09am
yeah my preferences are way up there than these models but will be happy lol

cagivachick1, Aug 9, 10:40am
accord euro

brapbrap8, Aug 9, 11:39am
I am very happy with my Lancer, I have no issues with the quality or the performance and always get or even beat the claimed fuel economy of 7.3L/100km so it is cheap to run. Services are only about $200 at Mitsubishi too.
If buying brand new they have a great warranty, not that I have needed to claim anything on it (touch wood).
They can be had brand new from about $20,000, I paid $22,999 for my GSR which is the mid range, sporty looking model.
The top spec SEI is really well equipped, better than many cars that are double the price even.

pedulla, Aug 10, 12:13am
thanks can i ask what is the drivers seat like comfort wise thanks

kazbanz, Aug 10, 12:32am
What year or budget range are you working with?
to answer your question -Mutsubishi and a brand has taken a fair bashing over the past few years.The result is that all their range seems to be priced below that of the competition.

pedulla, Aug 10, 12:48am
kazbanz thanks can i ask why mitsi taken a bashing? currently have a mitsi which has served me well but know little of new cars etc looking for late model whatever car, up to or around $30

brapbrap8, Aug 10, 1:05am
I have no complaints, have done some long drives and never been uncomfortable.

Mitsubishi has been struggling for sales a bit due to not having a good small car offering, which makes up over 30% of the NZ market.
Also some models like the Triton ute and Outlander SUV were feeling quite old, but they have had major updates this year and are starting to sell better.
The Lancer is a great vehicle for the price, but unfortunately medium cars only make up about 10% of the entire car market so they won't sell heaps regardless.

dinx, Aug 10, 1:14am
Not a midsize IMHO, DP had one and it compared with the Mazda 6 that replaced it. Was his fav of all his work cars but he really liked the 6 speed manual. In a sedan for sales work purposes the boot was a bit of a pain, big but small opening for large cases, he prefers hatches if thats an option. But no more work cars now anyhow, change of circumstances.

tamarillo, Aug 10, 2:09am
Second that. Excellent cars, bit bigger than lancer, Mazda 3, etc. but not Camry sized. I always got in 8's for economy in my wagon.
Also look at late model civic sedan NZ new. They were expensive cars and only sold privately in high spec. Often elderly owners with full service history.
Drive one then drive lancer. no contest. Lancer cheap as its old tech and design. Lot for money but it's a decade older car still made lately.

Mainly town, city driving? Open road? Sedan only you say. Budget?

kazbanz, Aug 10, 2:14am
I think there is a number of reasons.Their bigger cars lost favour with the corporate set.They had issues at least in NZ with their GDI engine mid sized vehicles and people movers that smoked like trains. R and D work has slipped.
Does that reflect on ALL ofv their product? unfortunately yes a shadow has been cast. Does it make the Mirage etc a pile of Junk--NO definitely not.
There is just that perception that all Mitzi cars are rubbish because of the issues above

kazbanz, Aug 10, 2:16am
LOVELY car but not mid size in my book.
Mid size is 04 and newer corolla/premio
00-05 Nissan pulsar/sylphy
Honda Civic sedan 08 and newer

berg, Aug 10, 5:00am
A word on the previously mentioned Kazashi. We have one and love it to bits. Drives like a smaller more nimble car yet seats 5 adults in comfort. 7.4ltrs per 100km average which isn't too shabby for a 2.4 that often tows a motorbike on a trailer.

rctr, Aug 10, 7:11am
We had a customer complain of road noise in their lancer. Boss took to tyre shop and did a nitrogen fill on tyres customer is now extremely happy with car.