Ford telstar hard to start

bman68, Oct 30, 5:40am
iv got a 1996 ford telstar wagon with a 2l 12 valve engine its a carburettor every now and then its hard to start it turns over and over and eventually fires up and then miss fires for a second or two and comes right but other times first flick and a little gas and its fine. all servicing is up t date and spark plugs where done less than 10000k ago. any help please? :)

ambo11, Oct 30, 6:03am
Maybe the auto choke is sticking, at this age its probably in need of a good carb service. maybe running too rich and stumbling for a few seconds when it fires? Try holding your accelerator foot flat down to the floor when trying to start it and see if it starts quicker?

intrade, Oct 30, 6:29am
was the carburettor ever cleaned?
with carb throttle spray. usually do this befor you fit new plugs as all the gunk can fault plugs after

intrade, Oct 30, 6:30am
i had one of those they go pritty quickly to 160 and i managed 190 on the desert road back then fuelconsumption is also pritty quickly 12 liter and 8.5 on long trips

snoopy221, Oct 30, 7:27am
champions? or N G K?
IF CHAMPIONS AND YA DONE NEAR 10,000 K-THROW EM AWAY AND FIT n g k.

Personaly after years of fleet servicing average new u groove ngk (EY suffix) WILL lose fuel economy after 8000 k-= REPLACE.

franc123, Oct 30, 8:10am
The other thing with those can be too aggressive plug gaps too, some sources and experience tell you 1.1mm but 0.8 is more than enough for Mr Mazdas electronic ignition coil. Might be worth a check of the rotor end and dizzy cap electrodes too, these simply don't get the attention they need. Any overchoking when dead cold could be a choke pull off diaphragm getting tired, see if the flap is cracking open when it fires.

bigfatmat1, Oct 30, 8:33am
Is it the tel star with the ecm plug on the comp in engine bay that causes similar faults with corosion or is that the Sierra can't remember been a while since I worked on either

snoopy221, Oct 30, 8:39am
sierra if i recall correctly silly ecu on drivers side inner guard

bigfatmat1, Oct 30, 8:40am
well I can't help then lol

saxman99, Oct 30, 7:39pm
I had an econovan with the same engine (I think) and it had the same or very similar issue to yours. It turned out to be as simple as a blown condenser. This was easy, quick and cheap to fix.

franc123, Oct 30, 9:20pm
Electronic ignition was standard on all Telstars from 1983 when they were launched, no point or condenser jn there chap.

gazzat22, Oct 30, 9:36pm
Exactly what happened to a workmate of mine some time ago ie auto choke not working .

whqqsh, Oct 30, 10:17pm
Ive got the same motor in my '88 Telstar ute & the choke did give problems, mine was staying part on making it chew gas & bloody jerky when trying to keep a steady slow speed in rush hour traffic. Never had starting issues though.
Cost a bit but got the whole thing reco'd, no worries now.

bjmh, Dec 12, 8:35am
check both ends of the coil lead,cap end/coil end. moisture runs down the lead ,collects as white crud under the boot. really bad cases will split the cap or coil tower