Vehicle Recommendations please

clawcontrol1, Jun 10, 5:40am
I need a vehicle suitable for towing a 2.9 tonne trailer/caravan preferably less than the $15,000. Advice on petrol/diesel etc would be much appreciated. Thanks you.

intrade, Jun 10, 5:51am
2.9 ton needs electric brakes 2.5 ton is the limmit for normal brakes on trailer

henderson_guy, Jun 10, 5:52am
That's a heavy trailer, you're going to be pretty limited, especially with that budget. How far and how often will you be towing it?

kazbanz, Jun 10, 6:07am
WOOA-2.9 tonnes?
That is mighty heavy.

ralphdog1, Jun 10, 6:10am
How many Ks a year?

sharchew, Jun 10, 6:10am
RUSSIAN LADA

brapbrap8, Jun 10, 6:15am
You would want diesel.
For nearer to the $20k mark you can get into some really good late model utes that will tow that happily.

monaro17, Jun 10, 6:28am
An old jeep grand Cherokee or land cruiser

msigg, Jun 10, 6:28am
Yes as above, diesel, best on the market is a toyota landcruizer, followed closly by a nissan safari, some late model utes could do it as well, or an american machine, or small japanese truck. Thats about it, nothing else will feel and look right.

tweake, Jun 10, 7:43am
yes something like that would be good.

you could go utes but they are a bit lighter. for heavy tows a heavier vehicle handles things better.

one of the landcruiser motors where known for blowing bottom end bearings. fine once changed. just something to check for.

tweake, Jun 10, 7:48am
anything petrol will cost a lot to run. ok if you don't use it much. also watch the range eg size of fuel tank. i know guys that use 25 litres per 100km and thats being gentle.

i would get a 4x4. not only for traction but also for low range. i've had to do a few hill starts in low range before. also keep to long wheel base.

3tomany, Jun 10, 8:45am

tamarillo, Jun 10, 10:40am
No, it's good for half that at most.

tamarillo, Jun 10, 10:46am
Have a look here
http://www.aa.co.nz/cars/maintenance/towing/towing-weights/
Scary that not even land cruisers can tow 2.5 tonne according to maker!
So question is, can cars happily and safely tow far more than manufactures stated limits?

3tomany, Jun 10, 9:05pm
the weight you are pulling restricts you a lot most of the vehicles posted will not tow that much.

monaro17, Jun 10, 10:21pm
Just a note both the land cruiser (24V version) and the grand Cherokee are rated to tow 3500kg braked. I don't know for sure but I doubt those old patrols/safaris are rated that high.

3tomany, Jul 2, 9:23am
just wondering if you are not towing very far what is the vehicle going to be used for when not delivering the pie cart. Will it be running around getting supplies, or other business duties, if so an economical diesel is going to be way more beneficial than a yank tank or other oversized vehicle just to do part of the job.