New mustang 4 or 8

Page 2 / 2
chook90, Feb 16, 10:42am
The same might be said in respect of early Corvettes too. Truth is the GM got with the plan and realised that they HAD to make a car that actually competed with other sports oriented models from around the world in order for the vette to remain viable.

3tomany, Feb 16, 3:45pm
It will be interesting to see the numbers of 8 v 6 v 4 sales but over all mustang sales are up 124% for the month of January in USA

tgray, Feb 16, 6:49pm
It's hardly surprising sales are up, considering it's the first 'new' model since 2005 and the first one ever with proper suspension.

tgray, Feb 16, 6:51pm
For most people, buying a Mustang does not involve using any logic.
It's not about looking at numbers on a spread sheet but how it feels and what it means to own a Mustang.
Having a V8 is the starting point.

3tomany, Feb 16, 6:54pm
Oh tgray don't start me on on the suspension LOL.

3tomany, Feb 16, 7:12pm
Dam you lol. OK proof. aussie utes are the only race formula where the only major difference in the cars is the axle. ford fixed live, holden independent, yet the ford kicks holden butt

elect70, Feb 17, 3:21am
The reliability of the 4 pot remains to be proven so far it hasnt .

tamarillo, Feb 17, 3:37am
You're right, but Ford are trying to change that as they know that the old style Mustang won't generate numbers needed. They're are gentrifying it a bit and making it for a wider audience. There will be big V8's etc for traditional buyers, but they're after new buyers.
Love to find some sales figures in US!

tamarillo, Feb 17, 3:38am
Hasn't it? Not arguing but haven't seen that anywhere. Falcon one was fine wasn't it? New Mondeo and US version uses it.

tamarillo, Feb 17, 3:39am
so a live axle is better on a road car? Cant believe that every manufacture has got that one wrong.

gunhand, Feb 17, 4:57am
Oh the manufactures get it wrong all the time, why do you think so many people spend thousands sorting out what they did at the factory. or should that be, destroying?
I mean, Joe cap backwards jeans down by his knees Blogs, spends 2 hours creating a masterpiece in his driveway with a blue bit of rubber and a hacksaw yet the silly factory spends years and millions doing there cars, well prob months now with CAD.

tgray, Feb 17, 5:19am
Check out the 2015 Mustangs on Trademe. Have a look at the rear end styling. Yuk!

3tomany, Feb 17, 5:22am
It is what the customer wants, IRS has huge comfort advantages for the wider public so ford has to do it but if you love to drive enthusiastically then nothing wrong with live axle. remember mustang is supposed to be a muscle car. Can't see the point in grizzling about ford taking so long to put IRS in then saying no to the 4 pot high efficient engine. seems some people will never be happy LOL

lookoutas, Feb 17, 5:46am
Hey, that's exactly what I think about your favourite Camaro front, and sedan side profile. But that's my opinion, so I kept it to myself.
Now, the same body with a Challenger front - That's a different story.

I just turned around the 2015 model I have on the shelf, and it looks alright to me.

If someone wants a 4 banger, that's their prerogative. Wouldn't wanta hook ya big boat on the back.
There's no substitute for cubes.

I've stated on here before - the live axle was retained in 05 coz the enthusiasts wanted it so they could take it straight to the drag strip. Roush etc, fitted IRS if that floated ya boat.

tgray, Feb 17, 5:58am
Ok, fair call, but I have now moved on to the new Corvette Stingray's.

timmo1, Feb 17, 8:17am
. yeah there is.

On a smooth surface the difference is minimal but the issue with a live rear is that a bump affecting one wheel affects the other one, so there is less grip on undulating surfaces (i.e. a road)

3tomany, Feb 17, 10:08am
very true for 99% of motorists today but just a few of us like to tame the beast.

3tomany, Feb 17, 10:12am
it has been around a while now what reliability issues have you found?

nzjay, Feb 17, 10:49am
4 cylinder performance engines have been around for a while. check this baby out http://vimeo.com/113158655

nzjay, Feb 17, 10:51am
So, here we have a single OHC 4 cylinder engine of over 28litres that was timed at 132.77mph in a single run. THATS OVER 213KmPH!
And it was in 1911

nzjay, Feb 17, 9:53pm
Some of the "modern" features. overhead cam, 4 valves per cylinder, almost a transaxle (-; , very light chassis, streamlined and it runs on 'eco fuel'. little more than kerosene in those days.
Each cylinder is more than a big block V8 at 7125cc. and it's hand cranked!
The crankshaft looks interestingly light and with little counterweighting. but probably only runs at perhaps 1500rpm flat out.

3tomany, Feb 18, 12:36am

floscey, Feb 18, 12:43am

tgray, Jun 12, 1:44pm
Hardly fair to compare a just released new Mustang model with a Camaro model that has just entered it's 6th year of production!
What I can tell you, is the Camaro has outsold the Mustang every year for the last 5 years straight.