Question is a Volkswagen Beetle 2000 worth having?

mr_lovebug, Nov 15, 8:40am
I like the look of them and want to know if there is anything which means stay away from at all costs. ?.

Thanks for your help.

mals69, Nov 15, 9:18am
Cousin had one and had costly electrical problems. Freind has one and was commuting resonable distance for year or two and no problems. Pretty sure made in mexico so just ya luck how much tequila blokes that put it together had the night before. In general they do not have a very good name.

mr_lovebug, Nov 15, 9:35am
Thanks for that, I do Alot of driving per week, I often do a 500 to 700 kms in a single day and once in while can do upto 5,ooo kms in a week or ten days.

Looking at 4k for a newer car, or do I spend that on my old 92 honda?

Thanks for the reply.

mals69, Nov 15, 9:49am
What about getting into 2000 or newer, once year WOF's, lowest km Nissan, Toyota, Honda you can get for your money. Chain driven no cambelt to replace.

franc123, Nov 15, 1:04pm
You won't be getting a good one for that money, it would be unwise to be spending all your budget on one. Realistically you need something much later than that if you want long term low running costs, they've just got too much of a chequered reliability history those things, they're poorly designed, not particularly nice to drive, not made of quality materials and don't age well generally. Apart from electrical problems and trans problems many of those early ones have had overheating and eventual head gasket problems due to water pump failure, which depending on how it was fixed and how quick it was fixed could have shortened engine life. IMO whole thing was a cynical styling/marketing exercise by VW to attempt to give what is otherwise a bland Golf more appeal at a huge cost to practicality, look at the size of the boot and back seat in both vehicles for for a start if you are doubtful!

kazbanz, Nov 15, 6:17pm
as a fun weekend car a ragtop beetle could be good.
As a daily runner to at from work I can't recommend one.
In fairness I only hear the bad stories but I was regularly hearing about how bad various peoples beetle actually were.

lespat, Nov 15, 11:23pm
Worst car ever had the misfortune to import. Shoddy cheap & nasty interior fittings.

intrade, Nov 15, 11:37pm
The car is just a vw golf mk4 with different body panels and different interior rest is 100% a golf

mals69, Nov 16, 1:09am
Mrs just told me our friend that had the good run just spent 7 hundie on hers last week - probably just the start of it

tamarillo, Oct 14, 5:38pm
Op, assume you're a VW fan. If your comfortable with a golf of this age you should be fine with beetle, being a rebodied golf. Think karman Ghia over love bug.