EGR valve /manifold cleaning

lisa35, Jan 19, 8:34am
Sorry for late reply, it is the variable gate unit and it plays up under load driving off through the gears and yes it does that unusual creaking noise around the heater area in dash!

intrade, Jan 19, 9:08pm
ok can you look what plug for diagnostic you have this is getting more difficult now because variable gate charger are fully controlled by the ecu via vaccume .
Here is a knowen problem variable gate charger suffer, be awear i dont say you have this problem there is plenty more reason to have loss of power intermittendly .
The variable gate charger vanes tend to stick from carbon buildup . symptoms would be loads of power with then rapid power loss, and no power with then rapid power gain.
explain it more in detail under what condition it occures .

aredwood, Jan 19, 11:58pm
Check that your alternator is working properly. When I got my Vito. the alternator struggled to keep the battery charged. Voltage was often only 13.5V with engine running. I got sick of the battery not charging properly so repaired the alternator (Voltage regulator had failed, Auto sparkie said that model of regulator was ***) The engine had more power with the alternator working how it should. Guess the ECU didn't like the low voltage.

Check for vacuum leaks, and connect up a gauge to monitor vacuum levels. As if it uses vacuum to control fresh/recirc in the ventilation system. Low vacuum / a vacuum leak will explain both the power loss issue and the creaking noise.

lisa35, Jan 20, 9:11am
Changing down from 3rd to 2nd and upa hill will do it every time, the whole blower / heater / air cond is woefully poor also, just need someone who knows these vehicles as Intrade says , some places just dont know about certain jobs on particular vehicles! Need to get it to somebody!

lisa35, Jan 20, 9:18am
The plug for diagnostics is round and a half moon shape takes up the pins of which there are 9 contacts.

aredwood, Jan 20, 11:37pm
Change the cabin filter then. Most likely the old one is completely blocked. Made a big difference on my Vito. Also mine just has the usual OBD2 diagnostics plug. It is under a little cover on the metal box that the front passengers seat bolts to. Also have you checked to see if your Vito even has EGR? Mine is a 2002 and because it is NZ new, no EGR fitted. And have you checked the charge voltage yet? Especially as that is easy to do.

lisa35, Jan 29, 7:34am
Finally found a garage with diagnostic gear to check the vito, they found it was a vacuum hose that had come off, could only access via the topside, manifold off etc, back to normal again. I will do that cabin filter for sure, looks a bit of a mongrel to get at! Thanks again you guys for info !

lisa35, Jan 29, 7:35am
I will check the charge voltage too!

intrade, Jan 30, 1:08am
check for ac leakage of the alternator . its called alternator ripple test
- Checking Ripple Voltage
Ripple voltage
or (AC voltage)
can be measured by switching
y
our DMM to AC and connecting the black lead to
a good ground and the red lead to the "BAT"
terminal on the back of the alternator, (not at the
battery)
A good alternator should measure less
than 0.5 VAC with the engine running. A higher
reading indicates damaged alternator diodes.
0.5 volt AC ac=alternating current its why its a laternator it makes alternating current the diods and regulator rectify and controll and conever it to DC for the battery

lisa35, Jan 31, 12:27am
Awesome I'll do that,ta.

lisa35, Jan 16, 8:40am
Vito merc van has sporadic loss of turbo straight after a strange 'creaking ' noise behind the dash at glove box area, after about 5 seconds it takes off as usual? Could it be just a matter of course to clean it all out, cost at garage? Cheers.

intrade, Jan 16, 7:42pm
egr on diesel is always on untill past half throttle when it shuts more or less but open in idle, unless at coldstart valve is shut unlike on petrol its fully open at idle .
Cleaning egr and intake should be normal maintainace procedure for any diesel. deleting egr is not straight forward on any commonrail so unless it gets deleted correctly with a good ecu reprogramming tuning map. If not deleted checking intake and decarboning must be done regularly and exess carbon must be checked for problem like faulty injectors .
Now almost no garage will even remotly have a clue about this .
the problem you discribe may or may not be related .
Post exact year and what engine it has fitted?

above is just a generic discription how it works some have egr cooler etc work egr different then old stuff like the mazda capella rf diesel matches the above discrition for egr function.

intrade, Jan 16, 7:52pm
post make model year
and discribe better how and when things happen and how it came to be , this is all important to see what direction to take , basically with the above information i cant do much at all , every little bit of information will help to figure what i can rule out and what cant be ruled out.

lisa35, Jan 16, 10:27pm
It's a 2000 Vito 110 van,2.2 CRD. It will randomly , in any gear from 2nd to 4 th, just die back in power and several seconds later will revive and accelerate as normal. Vacuum leak is a possible but only well into the revs, is that true? I've only done the oil and filter and fuel at the recommended intervals , so a clean is due im sure. I'm in Tauranga, thanks Intrade, your help in the past has been great!

intrade, Jan 16, 10:46pm
ok is there always a noise before it comes back to live?
also are you cruising along or is it under load when it dies off power?

intrade, Jan 16, 11:08pm
another thing we need to find out you will have to look at the turbo charger if it has a variable gate charger or a standard waste gate charger.
The variable gate charger has the actuator bowl smack in the middle of the 2 turbo wheel housings. as where a normal charger has a bowl sideways mounted with a rod.
variable gate charger look like this
http://www.gobizkorea.com/att/cat/keyyang/tp_html/img/keyyang_cat_2_large_img1_2.jpg normal turo look like this.
http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/forced-induction-the-turbocharger-3571_2.jpg

intrade, Jan 16, 11:33pm
these 2 chargers are controlled complete different from each other and the waste gate one is also controlled different then a normal turbo both run a vaccume line actuation , so you would need to inspect vaccume lines for problems when you follow them
on the waste gate one the vacume will come froma vaccume silanoid to the turbo this line must be 100% in tact and not loose or similar as that is the line that opens the waste gate when the engine computer turns on the silanoid sucking on the gate accumulator to open the waste gate so the boost pressure reduces, if the boost pressure wont reduce due to a faulty line or a faulty silanoid then it will overboost and go in to limp home with reduced power.
if its a variable gate charger then it all works mutch different.
This is only for this mercedes not for any other turbo in case somone reads this
Normal turbo have there boost go direct to a spring loaded actuator to open the waste gate. this merc has ecu controlled waste gate or variable gate but at aguess it will be a waste gate charger as it was on my mates sprinter in europe , his went in limp home due to the vaccume line having leeks between the silanoid and turbo actuator

mrfxit, Jul 15, 4:02am
Nice pic's