Stereo Fitting Kit so Expensive why

e_babe, Dec 12, 1:37am
I have been told that to get a stereo fitting kit for my car is over $1000 this is just for the fitting kit and doesn't include installation or the new device. What makes this fitting kit so special compared to the others?

Toyota Premio 2004 (also know as Allion or Corona)

kazbanz, Dec 12, 1:49am
E babe --could you do a picture of the dash?
I can tell you for certain a normal Toyota kit is $100 that's wiring side trims and a pocket.

peja, Dec 12, 1:54am
Looked at a few Premios on here, looks like a standard double din unit to me, cant see why the expense. I replaced a double din unit in my 2001 Holden with a single one and total cost including wiring loom adaptor and a fancy pocket with a sliding drawer to go in the gap plus the replacement stereo itself with bluetooth car kit and USB/ MP3 came to under $300. I installed it myself

807, Dec 12, 2:42am
I would assume that the space for the stereo in a 2004 Premio would be 200 x 100 mm, the same as a Corolla or probably most Toyotas from about 2000 onwards. Isn't the original stereo surround still in the car, or why do you need a new one ( surround , or fitting kit ) ? Also, it's not a hard job to fit a replacement stereo, if you are careful .

xs1100, Dec 12, 8:44am
get in touch with eds autos or digital logistics (gary) they sort it for you

deus701, Dec 12, 10:21am
Mine cost $800. there was a $200 extra charge since my car has BOSE systems/speakers

e_babe, Dec 12, 10:04pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/432584156.jpg

Here is picture of dash. I have looked at the allion one and I think that would actually work.

I have been questioning the cost with the installers and have been told that it is something to do with the electronics and the air conditioning / heater unit. I am been given the impression that this is somehow connected to the stereo which definitely doesn't make sense to me.

Will try eds autos and digital logistics and see what they say.

807 I am actually looking only for the surround so the one that vtecintegra mentioned would work, but it was then that the installer started saying about needing a fitting kit. We have done our own before and never used a fitting kit then so thinking of taking it out and seeing what is actually behind it and what is plugged in to what.

But I seriously can't see how the airbags and airconditioning / heater can be connected to stereo

e_babe, Dec 12, 10:05pm
Also just saying Thanks for the help and options

intrade, Dec 12, 10:23pm
you need to also know if the radio is a computer node of the can bus system to regulate door chime and other special functions if the radio is a onbord computer module to do tasks like this , then its not just the rounded shape to match but the tasks have to be taken over by the new radio also.
I did read a case study not long ago i write it in my next post of a problem relating to aftermarket radio .

intrade, Dec 12, 10:31pm
the vehicle had i think a no start and a aftermarket radio so they done there diagnosing and found somone had extended the wiring from the oem radio in to the boot of the car abd chuked it in the well there to fit a aftermarket radio in the dash.
The extention was done because you cant remove a radio when it is a computer module so that worked all fine.
But the boot had a water intrution and the radio was in 1 inch of water shorted out back there when the car did have its problem.
Now toyota are usually sticking to old technology for as long as possible so there is a chance that its not a computer module , but i know canbus was in 2001 already they started to overlay can and then they cut cost they only run can and removed the rugged sub systems later on to cut cost and a few gramms on wiring

807, Dec 13, 9:24am
Hmm . not as straightforward looking as I thought. Looks like it is curved to fit the dash, and also incorporates the hazard light switch. My Corolla is a simple straight affair, so easy to replace, but the Allion seems to be more of a challenge.

intrade, Dec 13, 10:04am
there is even a video about the case study i did read about whatch it
https://youtu.be/01ydQ-FqNwI

marte, Dec 13, 12:57pm
Hahahahahhahahhaa! PMSL!

mad_signtist, Dec 13, 7:36pm
Easiest way is To get a parrot kit that you can stream music from. Less expensive and you can remove when you sell car

kazbanz, Dec 13, 10:45pm
E babe if you are still here.
Real world experience done YESTERDAY by me.
06 Premio. with your radio installed. in it.
Ive now fitted a kiwi double din standard Toyotas radio.--ie gets all the kiwi stations. But could have fitted a single din with pocket/side trims or a double din with side trims.
NO cutting of radio mounts was done. It is a bit different from a standard install in a Toyota but nothing mind blowing.
You do reuse the airvents and all nuts/bolts from the old unit. and access is a bit hard to one or two screws. Once you unsdoo ALL the screws the whole mount system rocks forwards to allow you to screw, in the side mount screws (bolts)
AC controls have nothing at all to do with the radio.
Finished job https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/432832139.jpg

kazbanz, Dec 13, 11:36pm
If you look at my picture you will see that the radio is tilted backwards about 4 degrees.It looks worse in the picture than in real life.
if it was a single din radio stack I would have slotted the radio mounts about 5mm to allow a bit of adjustment of angle.
-Now to be clear to the trolls and internet sheriffs---I DON"t sell radio's and Im not a radio install service.

morrisjvan, Dec 14, 6:03am
2004, and still has a tape player ! Toyota were right up with the game.

kazbanz, Dec 14, 6:47am
E babe--Im wondering if the installers think you need a fit kit to take the radio once the factory one is removed. Not realising that the side brackets for the factory radio line up with a non factory unit.

e_babe, Dec 16, 8:40pm
kazbanz thank you very much for that, it makes me feel a lot better it might be just a case of removing old one and putting in new one. Think I will still need fitting kit as the radio is actually in two parts in the face plate and I am looking at I think it is a double din stereo so it has screen for reversing camera.

I have actually found a fitting kit that is $200 so this is a much better price and I am prepared to pay this if I need to. As mentioned will need the face plate so might as well but the fitting kit as can't seem to just find a face plate.

But thank you for letting me know you have just done one as I can now go back to installer and tell them it is straight forward. Would love to do myself but just not possible so will need someone to put it in for me.

e_babe, Dec 16, 8:47pm
kazbanz where did you get the Toyota stereo from?

kazbanz, Dec 16, 8:51pm
E babe-The plate that Vtecintegra suggested is what you need.
The Toyota radio I purchased via a supplier that does advertise on here.
Company Name is Pepsi auto
I can tell you for 100% certain that the radio you have pictured does not have a reversing camera screen.-Unless theres a seperate screen you havent pictured. It is also not exactly "double din" Its sorta more like double din and a bit in both directions. Also it is a one piece radio. The air vents and hazard light are separate but the parts clip into the faceplate for a normal double din.

e_babe, Jun 7, 6:26pm
No the radio I have now and have shown picture for is the one I am wanting to take out. I am looking at a Domain of some sort as it has all features in it, so will need the new faceplate.

I contacted the ones vtecintegra mentioned and they told me that it is not suitable for my car and would not fit so not sure why that is. But will look at this other fitting kit and hopefully be able to change it over to something that I am after. REally wanted USB ports in front was the main thing but then was told about the units that have everything and thought why not, apart from it was beginning to look like it wasn't possible