Leaking canopy on my ute.

rowlf, Jul 15, 10:11pm
Please can anyone advise me who I take it to to try and sort the problem? My husband tightened all the bolts down for me but it hasn't fixed the problem, he is under a lot of pressure right now and I'd rather just pay someone else to deal with the issue for me:-)

bjmh, Jul 15, 10:26pm
Post the vehicle type and maybe the type /makers name of the canopy. do you remove the canopy and then refit it. at times.

intrade, Jul 15, 10:26pm
you talk a fiberglass hard-top type thingy?
leakage betwwen hard top and ute tray?
possible seal cracked or a hole rotted in the frame from rust between it
are the 2 things pop to mind.
Now i tell you the best investment i made was to buy a 300$ flashlight with that you can look arround and actuarly find problems
thanks to alan olivas whom teaches savety and tool car and airconditioning systems on youtube.
i got me not quite the 300$ flash light but its about 200$ and its automotive water and shock proof phillips led via 5 volt usb rechargable.

hsvhel, Jul 15, 10:47pm
^^You get commission on your pitch or actual sale of said flashlight lol.

m16d, Jul 15, 10:56pm

rowlf, Jul 15, 11:07pm
It's a Holden rodeo, canopy is just badged Holden.

Yes I am talking about a fiberglass hard top thingy.

I've never taken the canopy off, but I don't know if previous owners did or not.

3tomany, Jul 15, 11:13pm
they can be almost impossible to completely seal particularly with a bit of age so is the water pouring in or just drips, as this may be normal

rowlf, Jul 15, 11:18pm
There is a fairly significant leak, after heavy rain I have a sizable puddle!

intrade, Jul 15, 11:24pm
i would remove it clean inspect repair and use a fresh seal also polish the paint and wax it if its not rusted already under the joint

rowlf, Jul 15, 11:26pm
Is there somewhere I can take the vehicle and get them to do it for me? I can't do it myself and I cannot ask my husband to help either.

bjmh, Jul 15, 11:49pm
any local panelbeater would sort it for ,but they are very hard to weatherproof

grangies, Jul 15, 11:50pm
rowlf. Take it to a panel and paint shop. They'll sort it.

rowlf, Jul 16, 12:42am
Cheers!

morrisjvan, Jul 16, 6:46am
if it ''lips '' over the tray it should be possible to get it leak free , but if it just relies on a seal for weather tightness, it may never seal properly. I have one on my falcon that just uses a seal , and doesn't have an overhanging lip, and it leaks like a sieve , it is just a shitty design, and short of glueing it down I can't improve it's water tightness.

thewomble1, Jul 16, 7:31am
Just make sure there is an even number of holes. Odd holes let water i, even numbered holes let the water out.

xs1100, Jul 17, 7:47am
bloody heavy to lift a canopy off and will also affect any possible warranty claim

skull, Jul 17, 7:59am
Surely if it was under warranty and leaking then a claim would have already been made?

cammey, Jul 17, 8:08am
My son has a 2005 Holden commodore ute with a canopy. Its all genuine Holden stuff. But it has leaked since new.

It pisses the dog off big time.

Gallons of sealant have not remedied the problem, the panels simply have too much tolerance.

xs1100, Jul 17, 8:44am
not always and not if its not pushed squeaky wheel and so on

rctr, Jan 30, 10:16am
Who actually made canopy will be made here under licence from holden. Go back to them beaut utes came down from auckland to reseal 1 for us has never leaked since.