Mazda friendee van

tigertim20, Jul 14, 6:28am
Hi fellas.

am considering one of the above vans.

I'm wondering f anyone knows much about them, or has owned one? I understand it has a 2.5 turbo diesel. How do they drive? do they have a little grunt if they are loaded up? good on long rives / hills? and am also wondering what the expected economy would be like?

Its in average condition overall.

Im also wondering if anyone has tried to fit a motocycle into the back of one? Ive asked the seller for measurements, and from the ones he has given me, it sounds like I could fit my bike in, but it would be close!

any input would be appreciated!

regards
Tim

franc123, Jul 14, 6:40am
The engine is the Mazda WL diesel that was used in the Bounty utes and also the Ford Courier in the late 90's/mid 00's, good engines overall that performed well for the era but they must have been maintained well, in particular don't buy one that shows signs of cooling system neglect, this needs to be looked at by a pro no ifs or buts before buying as any overheating quickly leads to ruined cylinder heads. I don't think they are a bad buy otherwise, about 8-10l/100km would be expected. These vehicles were also rebadged and sold as a Ford Freda in Japan. They are a bit of an orphan though, not many around compared to the likes of Toyota Estima etc which may possibly cause issues with getting bits apart from engine stuff.

rctr, Jul 14, 7:17am
We had 1 that used to come into work. Was a pick of a thing. Cooling system bad for air locking due to design. Finding parts for it was a nightmare most places we spoke to had never heard about it.

tigertim20, Jul 14, 7:42am
yeah Id never heard of them before either.

problem is not much around with what Im looking for.
I want something with the engine in front kind of design as I understand them to be safer?
I also need something I can get a motorcycle in the back of - whcih rules out stuff like estema etc, as the rear door doesnt come down flush with the floor in the rear, so you cant just wheel a bike straight in.

not a whole lot out there. I was interestd in a Vito if a slightly older one came up, but there really arent many floating around.

I have money burning a hole in my pocket, and of course, theres nothing really out there.

any other suggestions that might fit the bill? looking under 5k if possible

tigertim20, Jul 14, 8:14am
have had the Nissan Elgrand mentioned as a possibility too.
any one familiar with them?

for my price i be looking at 1997-2001 ish by the look of TM listings

rctr, Jul 14, 8:36am
They not engine forward engine is under passenger seat
That's why we had trouble bleeding cooling sys. The rad is up front and pipes go back from there to eng under seat

franc123, Jul 14, 9:28am
Toyota Granvia.

skin1235, Jul 14, 9:32am
yep, and if you can get the 4wd model even better

willy911, Jul 14, 6:38pm
they are fantastic. and there is a specific way to bleed the cooling system. many mec hanics don't know how to do it. have a look at eng and if it has a wl head on it don't touch it,they were prone to cracking around the exhaust valve. make shore its got an after market one. great to drive and powerfull,i towed 1600kg van behind mine. only sold it recently missing it

willy911, Jul 14, 6:39pm
had no problem with parts from rotorua wrecker,are you looking at one in particular

willy911, Jul 14, 6:41pm
did I say they are beautifull to drive and economical. have a look at google for heaps of info in England,designed way ahead of themselves

tamarillo, Jul 14, 8:13pm
Agree with idea of engine forward, in theory must make for better protection, but lots of other considerations too.
Those big nissens mentioned can come with a detuned v6 as per 370z. Apparently go like stink! Ugly though.

willy911, Jul 15, 6:01am
another thing about the bongo friendee, built very robust,has proper chassis,all transmission ,diff etc heavy duty. the eng is just behind your calve,and you have chassis rails extending forward to front. very strong

tigertim20, Feb 5, 5:39pm
thanks for the info so far guys. any furter comments on the elgrand? - one offered to me is a 2001 in decent condition. 3.5 petrol. are these a chain or a belt?

approx economy to be expected?