Can't beleave every car ,ute , what ever, shits it

Page 2 / 2
ajm43, Aug 25, 9:13am
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

grangies, Aug 25, 9:30am

martin11, Aug 25, 7:16pm
Sounds like you need someone who knows what they are doing to fix your gear box !

cammey, Aug 25, 7:44pm
They seem to eat gearboxes is why. I have two mates with those trucks and they both ate a gearbox at quite low k's

Once you have it fixed remember to avoid towing in top gear especially, as that's a real fast way to the tranny shop in the Ford/Mazda.

And any of the Ford/Mazda range with the terrible CD4E gearbox should be avoided for towing as well.

And I think we will find the threads quite full of "My Ford Ranger/BT50" has done its engine in soon, as they are having trouble with oil pumps.

If you change the oil, and the pump drains they can take minutes to get oil pressure back up, and do quite a lot of engine wear while they get pressure back.

In fact if you really dawdle, and the pump completely drains, they NEVER get oil pressure back.

tamarillo, Aug 25, 7:46pm
Gearboxes fall in to the black arts box. Never ever do one diy.

Sounds like you've had a bad run with motors there, maybe need to modify buying behaviour?

Good luck

plasticboys, Aug 25, 7:59pm
taking to the shop to see what they will charge

mrfxit, Aug 25, 8:24pm
Sounds like a 80/20 oil change several times job
Drain 3 litres out/ refill to top
Repeat once after 1 day.

vic008, Aug 25, 9:04pm
I like to leave my Toyota 1zz-fe to drain overnight when oil changing. Maybe this is not a good idea?

plasticboys, Aug 25, 9:57pm
its out of my hands , thank god

cammey, Aug 26, 5:08am
I think the problem is limited to the mazda/ford utes with the new mazda diesel motor.

serf407, Aug 26, 5:17am
The issue is some engines with variable flow engine oil pumps so it covers more than just the BT50/ Ranger engine.
http://www.aaen.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/AUTODATAtiqbiz.pdf http://www.underhoodservice.com/variable-displacement-future-oil-pump/

cammey, Aug 26, 5:32am
Interesting. This will catch a lot of people out, in a very expensive way.

m16d, Aug 26, 7:02am
It's not a good idea to leave the sump plug out overnight. I know someone that did that with a D6 and another driver started it in the morning,it ran for a while then went squeek screech stop.

Your Toyota oil pump will pick up the oil again once you fill the sump.

But all the Ranger owners on here that boast they can pull a 6 ton horse float up the Bombay's at 150kph will now be quietly crapping themselves that they've bought another Ford lemon.

gazzat22, Aug 26, 11:58pm
Could be the nut behind the wheel!

plasticboys, Aug 27, 6:54am
i drive like i granny so i'm told , and yes i do

bill-robinson, Aug 27, 6:58am
i knew a grannie that bought a brand new minor 1000. she drove it everywhere usong 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. never found 4th 55 mph in 3rd was something to behold. not that type of grannie i hope?

fordcrzy, Aug 27, 7:02am
you buy a ute thats well known for $#!tting gearboxes and you complain about them $#itting gearboxes? seriously? we had four of them as work utes and every one spat the gearbox at under 100K

plasticboys, Aug 27, 8:19am
and your ford crazy

plasticboys, Aug 27, 8:20am
racing is for the track , been a good driver is for the road

elect70, Aug 28, 3:37am
Just proves that new isnt necessarily better . My old XD falcon p van did 35000K on origonal engine /g box it did 7 years of hard work including towing heay tailers often . Dout youd get that out of new ute .

brapbrap8, Aug 28, 4:01am
Not to mention it is nearly 20 years old anyway, nobody would ever think it would be a reliable vehicle.

brapbrap8, Aug 24, 6:34pm
Not really, I think they are turning out to be quite a reliable vehicle as long as they are always serviced by someone who knows what they are doing.

A lot of rangers in company fleets get a hard life, I know of 2 that pull 3-4 ton or more all over the country, everyday, and are at over 150,000km each in a couple of years, and another one that is at about 350,000km in 2 years, with the majority of that being towing with 400kg on the tray all the time as well.

Considering they are the most popular vehicle in NZ I would say they are extremely under represented in mechanical horror stories. No doubt that will change though when they get sold to private owners, and people try and service them on their driveway to save money.