Water coming back at you when revving up motor

gumboots70, Mar 18, 8:31am
sorry for the bad spelling
my friend needs another motor
Nissan Serena van
he looked at a motor today . [still in van]
when he revs up motor the water from the radiator comes up a bit not hard core though. is this a water pump? or some thing worse?

unclejake, Mar 18, 8:52am
It's normal to see a slight change in water level when revving the engine.

mugenb20b, Mar 18, 8:55am
Do a TeeKay check if you are suspicious of any head gasket problems. If the water pump was stuffed, you'd get no change in coolant flow regardless of how much it's revving.

mrfxit, Mar 18, 8:56am
Revving the engine & holding the revs UP will normally result in the water level going down BUT will result in an overflow of water when you drop the rev's again.

skin1235, Mar 18, 9:01am
are there any bubbles in it, thats more important than the water building up ( which is more an indication the rad core is starting to block up and needs cleaning )
got to ask how did he discover this, what was he looking for and what was the problem that prompted him to open the cap and rev the motor
I suspect it is showing signs of over heating
if there are no bubbles issuing out with the water, get the core flow tested

gumboots70, Mar 18, 5:53pm
my mate was checking water flow to see if it was like a volcano as he knows this is bad. but wasn't sure what it means when it does overflow when under revs . and me too lol cheers guys so a rad flush might be just the trick before the problem gets worse and does damage aye.

intrade, Mar 18, 6:48pm
a propper radiator cap and propper coolant might be what it should have. you cant tell a cap is faulty by looking at it.

skin1235, Apr 24, 4:11pm
if that is saying he was looking for overheating problems then yep, and when you do, change the rad hoses for new ones, and the heater hoses,
if he was just being curious and there is no underlaying problem the a flush will put his mind at ease, check the condition o f the hoses, inside and out, they may do another stint if in good condition - you need to remove them to see what the inside is like, and if you're pulling them off why not change them anyway -- and the thermostat at the same time