Best type of speakers for van?

ambo11, Dec 27, 8:30pm
My Vanette has 4 inch speakers in the dash, which I replaced with Sony speakers a few months back. They sound terrible and gutless, with severe distortion. All connections correctly fitted and soldered, speakers mounted tight. Thinking its simply due to their small size.Have a "standard" headunit, 45Wx4. I just want a basic 2 speaker setup. So wondering what type of speaker is best to buy? Should I try and mount 6 inch speakers in the front door, or 6x9 close to the roof? Just after a reasonable music sound, so in my mind the door panels are the logical place provided the speakers don't interfere with door workings. I use the van space inside so don't want boxes etc sitting on the floor in the back, as they will get damaged in no time. Any clues as to what type of speakers will work best in the doors? Cheers all

mals69, Dec 27, 9:05pm
Pioneer what I would go for without having to spend trillions.
Use rubber washers or gasket etc so not mounting directly on
metal of door to try cut down on unwanted vibration.
Not usually best place to mount in doors - in saying that most
car manufacturers these days pull it off. Thin light vanette doors
will not help, window winder mechanism etc can vibrate, bugger
all area for bass when window down.
Under dash another place with them pointing down towards floor, boxed
speakers just behind your ears .
Just read your post again lolol pioneer speakers in your dash should not disort (speakers themselves)

Best sound would be some 3 way or 5 way pioneer speakers mounted in a wooden box and mounted to the roof (rubber etc between roof and box's

ambo11, Dec 27, 9:13pm
cheers mals, I was wondering about mounting to roof in thin box, will have a measure up of some 6x9s. No room under dash, losing interest in the door mounting idea. cheers

mals69, Dec 27, 9:16pm
It all hinges on how loud you listen to your music ?

Need decent depth for good bass - make some up out of custom-wood etc

kazbanz, Dec 27, 11:15pm
Ambo-IMO mals has it bang on.The issue isn't the speakers themselves its what you are mounting them to.
Even sticking some sound deadener into the inner door skin will help.
That said --what size speakers are the door holes set up for.
I thought the vanette was set up for 6 inch speakers.
If the speakers themselves are "hanging in space" rather than filling the mounting hole then that will add to the distortion.
Im not a real "sound" guy but Ive put lots of 6 inch speakers in Vanette/Bongo doors with no issues at all.

ambo11, Dec 27, 11:46pm
Cheers, Kaz, where in the door, in the area closest to the floor? I haven't taken door card off yet to look, but my Vanette is totally basic, so may not even have any cut outs in the door so to speak. Will measure area available with window right down. Cheers

kazbanz, Dec 28, 12:04am
Down near the bottom hinge

seadubya, Dec 28, 12:09am
A couple of forward facing, boxed 6x9's mounted to the roof support half way down the van? Easy to wire in, hardly ever in the way unless you stack to the ceiling.

ambo11, Dec 28, 12:23am
don't have any particular cut outs to mount any speakers in the doors
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/436029152.jpg and these are the mounted 4 inchers, tight as a drum, they distort with plastic covers on or off, has put me off Sony speakers that's for sure https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/436029143.jpg

ambo11, Dec 28, 12:25am
cheers seadubya, was thinking of something like that, another option may be the panel in the back right wall right behind the drivers seat? Isn't a sliding door there so may be an option, possibly fit a couple of 6x9s there. At least they should put out enough sound to hear clearly.

stevo2, Dec 28, 12:47am
I can highly recommend putting some component speakers in front doors. Did it to my iLoad and it made a huge difference.
Depends on how much other noise in the van though.

kazbanz, Dec 28, 1:15am
What does the door "card" look like?

ambo11, Dec 28, 2:00am
Door card is just plain vinyl, no patterns anywhere.

marte, Dec 28, 11:24pm
You want the material you are mounting the speakers on to be solid.
You also want no holes around the speaker to separate the air movement from the cone, from the air behind the speaker.
You also want the effiency of the speaker to be high. 93db @ 1metre or 94 etc.
Also look at the frequency curve graph on the speaker box.
Higher at lower frequency means better Bass.
Higher at higher frequency means sharper treble.

A nicely rounded, mostly level curve, without major dips is what you want.
3ways will have two dips, but far better sound on average over the whole sound range.
If you have a subwoofer, you can get away with less Bass on your 4 surround speakers.
That means more power and better sound for your 4 surround speakers as they do not have to make as much Bass sound, as the sub's make up for the Bass.

marte, Apr 21, 2:34am
You also want the cones to be 'free' in movement.
If they move easy by pushing on them, they will be easyer to power = better Bass and louder.

With used speakers, if they 'scratch' as you push the cone, they are stuffed.

Oh, important.
Don't buy speakers with a gap around the centre pole where the other two small speakers are often mounted.
Metal crap gets attracted by the magnet and gets in there and messes up the speaker.
I have no idea why they make them like that.

I find that used speakers out of CRT TVs are often good quality, for free.