Late Model Subaru Legacy CVTs

321mat, May 5, 11:29pm
Has anyone had any problems with these?
What are they like once the car has done high mileage?

Your advice would be appreciated.

sport_billy, May 6, 2:05am
I Looked into them - advice I got was they were quite a reliable unit. I ended up getting a 3.6 outback with conventional auto but was looking at CVT equipped vehicles.

bigfatmat1, May 6, 3:50am
They have a common problem with torque converter causing car to stall when braking hard.

321mat, May 13, 12:12am
Really? I hadn't heard that.
I'd head that they can be hard on the thrust washer bearing.

tamarillo, May 13, 4:52am
A few years back when looking for company wagon, I got put off these after asking around of respected mechanics. They had experienced too many failures with early units and objected to the price of replacements.
Secondly I didn't like the drive experience, engine revs weirdly at times and felt very disconnected. That's personal.
Lastly I was told not to tow with one.
But, I hear on this forum that they have got much better, and it may be that newer ones will be just as reliable. And not everyone finds the driving odd, or cares about towing.
I read that Subaru now use it even on the six cylinder cars just come out, so evidently they are now happier with them as they have used conventional autos on them until now.
So maybe it depends on how old the car is and a Subaru expert guidance.

I've been driving sister in laws Audi A4 using cvt for last few weeks in UK. Just didn't like the odd disconnected sounds and feel. I think Audi have stooped using them now but then they have access to the VW group DCT box they must make in the millions.

I've been pulled up for my dislike of cvt so note the experience is IMO.

melonhead1, May 13, 5:04am
The CVT is great in theory, but running the engine's torque through a belt or chain seems weak to me.

brapbrap8, May 13, 5:51am
I have not driven one myself, but the new Subaru CVTs are very highly regarded, most reviews say it is virtually impossible to tell it is not a regular transmission under hard acceleration as it changes to preset shift points under heavier throttle.
They even use a CVT in the WRX now and it seems to be selling well from what I hear.

matt5209, May 13, 7:11am
As I understand it the cvt is only used as it lowers fuel consumption. I found it a bit odd to drive to be honest. I've just bought a 3.6 with the regular auto and it is fantastic to drive, much nicer than the 2.5 with cvt. Towing was a factor for me as well so the lower rating of the cvt counted against it.

321mat, Jan 30, 4:09pm
Thanks for the opinions.
I've always been wary of CVT's, because they don't drive like a transmission should, and the ECU memory can get confused (not saying this will happen with the Subaru unit, but others have suffered this fate).

Also, the auto transmission on Subarus in the past has been fragile (to say the least), and to change to something that is even more complicated, well.