Best tyres (tread) on the back or front?

Page 2 / 2
sr2, Mar 24, 7:19am
No offence intended but I'm confused as to the point you're attempting to make, (particularly with your anecdotal questioner?).

Big breath and tell us the point you're trying to make.

lookoutas, Mar 24, 7:41am
Sorry munchie - just had a look at your profile.

You can win.

sr2, Mar 24, 7:50am
+1; woops!

sr2, Mar 24, 8:29pm
I still haven't got a clue as to the point you're trying to make, (apart from the fact that you're a much better driver than the rest of us and you know far more "stuff" about cars than we do).

sr2, Mar 24, 8:47pm
LOL. Mrs sr2 uses "logic" similar to yours on a regular basis, (gawd I'm toast if she reads this); are you sure you're not a girl?

mrfxit, Mar 24, 9:03pm
Driver education

socram, Mar 24, 9:04pm
. named Helen

kevymtnz, Mar 24, 9:11pm
Front in all conditions no matter what the car

mrfxit, Mar 24, 9:14pm
I know that with every vehicle I have ever had (FWD & RWD) with rubbish tyres on the back, that when driving in "pure non NANNA mode" the back tends to slide far more then intended but the front stays in place on a far more regular basis even if it's got rubbish tyres on as well.

Which end your best tyres go partly depends on where the vast majority of your driving is done.
Urban needs good front tyres
Rural needs good back tyres

Ideally both ends need good tyres but not all of us can afford to do 4 tyres at a time.

mrfxit, Mar 24, 9:18pm
Under steer is a factory induced requirement from the manufactures & govt watch dogs.
Same with speedo's that read slightly fast.

It's designed to protect the majority of the public from killing them self's & to protect the manufactures from law suits for selling unsafe vehicles.

mrfxit, Mar 24, 9:29pm
1: ?
2: far too many
3: it's not easy but at least you get to use 4 wheel braking in a straight line. (been there)
Better then spinning totally out of control with no idea on where you are going to end up. (been there).

It's often a case of "the best of a bad situation"
Normally they simply slide off the road semi sideways in to that bank.

Spinning around sometimes means a roll over & hitting all sorts of other things that get in the way plus no idea of where you will end up, (sometimes not such a bad thing)

socram, Mar 24, 9:31pm
I think I have only ever partially lost the back end on two occasions with my own cars and once with someone else's.

First time was in someone else's car - a VW beetle. I didn't realize how crap the roadholding was having only really driven a Mini up until that point. Caught it easily enough and was staggered just how poor it was on a North Yorkshire country lane. Put me off Beetles.

The next was the day after buying my first ever car - a minivan. Lost it again on a country road. Decided all the tyres were crap and were replaced straightaway. Never had a problem ever again but always made sure I had good tyres on the front of all the many Minis I have owned.

Bought 4 new Firestones for the rear wheel drive GT a couple of days after I bought it and they were rubbish in the damp as I found out very quickly.

So regardless of whether the good tyres are on the front or the back, if you drive beyond their ability to grip, you'll have an issue.

With good tyres on the front of a rear wheel drive car, you can still steer but if you have already lost traction at the rear, it is already too late as you are not normally going to power out of a slide on the public road, you are going to ease off the throttle anyway - and presumably steer, but if the fronts also break away, you are toast anyway.

brapbrap8, Apr 15, 8:01am
I know in the A6 Allroad Quattro you hold down the ESP button for 5 sec (I think) which changes the electronics to settings designed for loose surfaces like gravel.
Have you done the Quattro experience driving course? Pretty insane what the electronics can make a car do.
I am not sure that the rules of physics apply to Audis after doing that course!