2003 BA Falcon

Page 1 / 2
neil4700, Dec 2, 3:01am
Battery went flat after children playing with lights, removed battery and charged, locked car with keys,car locked,left overnight and car has unlocked itself. Any reason why ?
Any ideas or reasons would be appreciated.
Thanks.

richardmayes, Dec 2, 3:08am
They will unlock again more or less immediately if a door isn't properly closed. ?

skully13, Dec 2, 3:59am
But the horn normally toots three times quickly if a door is ajar when trying to lock it.

neil4700, Dec 2, 4:26am
Also now discovered radio and heater seem to have no power, argh !
Should I remove battery again and allow system to re-boot or whatever ?

lookoutas, Dec 2, 4:32am
Could have had something to do with the disconnection, But check your spare actuator tucked away inside.
When it happened to me, the set I was using had a weeping battery, so I cleaned that up and replaced the battery, but also removed the battery from the spare set, and left it out.

neil4700, Dec 2, 5:54am
Excuse my ignorance please but unfamiliar with the spare actuator you talk of.

ntalke, Dec 2, 6:09am
So you removed the battery and put on charge then manually locked the car?

I guess there was some residual charge that unlocked it

Just read my owners manual(BF) and there is nothing pointing to your problem

lookoutas, Dec 2, 6:31am
The little black box with the buttons that lock & unlock ya car.
You must have one of those?
And you usually have a second one tucked away in a drawer inside.

It's usually the spare one that has the battery start weeping, and that liquidy stuff slimes its way around the module until it starts shorting across things and making it work.
Now I'm picking on the spare one, as its usually the dormant one and more likely to have this happen. But when I opened mine up, the one I was using had weepage more than the spare. So I'm not sure which one caused the problem, hence I removed both batteries and only replaced the one I needed to use.

lookoutas, Dec 2, 6:48am
You read something into that, that I didn't.
Just made an assumption that it had to have had the battery replaced in order to unlock itself.

Put us out of misery OP.

You might also need to visit a Sparkie for a diagnostic check.

neil4700, Dec 2, 7:08am
Battery removed,charged and re fitted, then locked car with key, remote(spare actuator) you talk about is long since removed from the equation, kids found a better use for it .

lookoutas, Dec 2, 7:28am
OK - Remote.
Does this mean you don't have a remote at all?

neil4700, Dec 2, 7:31am
Correct no remote.

lookoutas, Dec 2, 7:38am
Did the kids destroy it, or loose it?

neil4700, Dec 2, 7:42am
Was deemed un-operational by auto sparky, so destroyed and thrown away by sparky.

sw20, Dec 2, 7:46am
I love it when tradies throw your shit away without asking.

neil4700, Dec 2, 7:47am
Sounds like I need it do I ?

ntalke, Dec 2, 8:02am
Yep you need it as it has the Transponder inside the Remote to pair another remote with it

Without a remote you should not be able to run your car,it will start and go for a few seconds then close down and will do this for a couple of times before not starting at all

Your Ford dealer will give you the full rundown

lookoutas, Dec 2, 8:07am
Best you call on Sparkie again for a diagnostic check & reset.

I did have this idea that a remote might have been lost and deteriorated, but the car knew where it was.
It's been the problem in so many cases.

When mine shorted, it set the alarm off when I was in a dead sleep, and I could be a defence witness for Oscar Pistorius due to it.
Woke up thinking some a/hole was at the car, and I knew I couldn't burst outside flashing my designer PJ's, so headed for the kitchen window to have a look and yell a threat. But as I left the bedroom there was also a thought of grabbing some pants to haul on so I was ready, but didn't want to waste time looking in the dark so shot off without them, went 90 degrees in the wrong direction, trying to look out a window that wasn't there and wondering where the sink bench had gone to, and thinking the bastards are off down the drive anyway, coz the noise was behind me instead of in front & slightly to the right.
It was about this time that I'd gathered most things together, and got myself to the kitchen to find no-one around. Back to the bedroom and grab those pants & the keys to stop the alarm, then check it all out.
The neighbours were on the job before I was (just as well I got some pants)
That's when I pulled the remotes apart and left them spread out to sort in the morning.

franc123, Dec 2, 8:09am
Transponder isn't in the remote fob, its in the key itself. Doesn't require presence of the fob to start it.

lookoutas, Dec 2, 8:10am
The transponder will be in the key. Well - my Yankee one is.

I'm picking the remote 'sucked it' a while back.

You type too quick franc.
And it doesn't pay to have the two keys on the same keyring. They fight one another, and it will run like crap.

easygoer, Dec 2, 8:16am
I thought the key held the transponder and the remote was simply the door controller which would explain why the OP has been able to use their car since getting rid of the remotes

lookoutas, Dec 2, 8:21am
Jeez - you type slower than me!

easygoer, Dec 2, 8:24am
I should get into the habit of refreshing the page before typing a responce

ntalke, Dec 2, 8:27am
Yep you are right as I have bits here when i tried to get a FG Flip key to work with the BF
But you can still lock and unlock the car with just the bare blade but the car won't run

neil4700, Aug 4, 9:25am
Car has been working well for close to 18mths with no remote, only given grief after battery was run flat, maybe the sparkie visit is closer than I would have liked.