2WD - Front wheel in soft ground

billyfieldman, Oct 9, 9:59pm
And the front wheels spin but no traction, would putting wooden planks behind the front wheels help get the vehicle out?

tamarillo, Oct 9, 10:12pm
Most soft ground like sand requires very low tyre pressures. Then use torque not revs, if car is auto it might have snow or winter mode which will start it in second and allow torque converter to do slip, putting gentle torque to driven wheels. It works.

If really stuck it's same front or rear. Dig out channel in front to ease way, and get in something to help grip, twigs etc, plank if that's all you have out you need to get driven wheels onto it somehow . If wanting to move forwards it goes in front.

poppy62, Oct 9, 10:20pm
Let the tyres down to about half the pressure and drive out with a VERY light accelerator.

timmo1, Oct 9, 10:47pm
If you are driving out frontwards, no, otherwise the things which create the extra traction (i.e. the planks) won't even be used. If you are going to use planks, put them in front of the tyres/underneath them facing forward- Be very careful of running them over and having them rise up into the car/wheel arch.

seadubya, Oct 9, 10:55pm
Apparently you tie the plank to the tyre for extra traction, I've never tried it but I can't see why it wouldn't work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AalkhNkWnwY

tamarillo, Oct 9, 11:03pm
Rather put chains on. looks decidingly dodgy.

seadubya, Oct 9, 11:52pm
Me too, but if I ever get stuck alone without gear, I would try it before walking to get help. Have you seen the zip tie alternative to chains? Emergency use only, but they don't take up much room and can be put on any size wheel or tyre as long as it isn't a solid rim.

bjmh, Oct 10, 2:36am

billyfieldman, Oct 10, 4:06am
Thanks for the tips. The videos are interesting. Looks like a small shovel and ropes is a good idea to have in the boot when going on holiday just in case.

poppy62, Oct 10, 5:09am
Take a 12V air compressor with you. They range from $20 and up.very handy.

billyfieldman, Oct 11, 1:37am
Isn't a spare tyre sufficient?

seadubya, Oct 11, 1:42am
You can drop your pressures way down on drive tyres to below what is sensible for road use to get a bigger footprint to help you out of the soft stuff, when you are finished in the soft stuff you can pump the drive tyres back up to road pressures for the trip home.

intrade, Oct 11, 1:48am
can you answer me 1 question?
what exactly is the purpose of your threads you have now about 50 or so at a guess. just answer the question its not meant to stop you or be offensive but i just wonder about it

poppy62, Oct 11, 4:39am
Not if you deflate the 2 driven tyres to get out of being stuck.

poppy62, Oct 11, 4:40am
Learning all about motoring, at a guess.

xs1100, Oct 11, 7:06am
ok probably best thing is think about were yr driving and if its off road then its probably best you get a 4wd

billyfieldman, Oct 11, 10:18am
I have not kept track. When I have a motoring related question, problems with my cars, tempted to buy a particular model/type of car but not sure if it is a good car etc I ask around here.

For example, I was thinking of buying a 4WD to drive around NZ but after asking here, found out that 2WD is good enough for NZ. But what if I visit a rural place and my 2WD got stuck, what do I do to get out. So I ask here again for advice.

How about you? What is the purpose of your threads?

intrade, Oct 11, 10:44am
purpose of my threads is to try and educate people of the reality and try to make them think and research and learn things them selfs as well.

marte, Oct 11, 1:08pm
Jack the car up and put the spare tyre under the slipping wheel.
Remove jack.
Drive out.

marte, Feb 25, 1:37am
Driving a 4WD drive around NZ is a bit of a overkill if you are thinking of a biug SUV or something.
There still is gravel roads in places, but they are 'out of the way' a bit.
Places like 'Skippers canyon' (no car insurance there anyway)
Macetown, up the Arrow river from Arrowtown.
Garston to Bannocburn.
They all have river crossings and need 4WD, but they are out of the way.

Any main road driving you do will not need 4WD vehicle.
Maybe if you are towing a boat or trailer with gear on it, a 4WD will be better, but thats more to do with engine size.

How many people are going on your trip and how long and where are you expecting to stay and what do you want to see/do?