Driving a big unlicensed truck home Q .

Page 1 / 2
snapperhead00, Feb 15, 11:56pm
I'm a terrible Googler so asking here some on to it poster may be able to help me. I'm wanting to drive a massive house truck from the place it is at to my house, short of transporting it which will cost 1000's can I get a permit to drive it?

tamarillo, Feb 16, 12:03am
Never heard of such a thing, except trade plates. Maybe local truck dealer will do it for cash with trade plates and relevant license?
Probably not appropriate use of trade plates.

henderson_guy, Feb 16, 12:21am
Short answer NO. If it's going quite a distance, then it will be worth phoning around the heavy salvage companies around both your and your parents area, they may be able to do it a bit cheaper as a backload. Otherwise, you're just going to have to suck it up and pay the fees.

tmenz, Feb 16, 12:36am
Is it registered, licensed and COF'd?
If so, just hire a driver! Ring your local carrier and ask if they've a driver who wants to moonlight!

afer_daily, Feb 16, 12:36am
do you have a driving licence that covers the size of the bus / if not do you know somebody that does ? and how far do you have to move it ? i take it that it has no reg or wof / cof ?

snapperhead00, Feb 16, 12:53am
Yes father in law has a license to drive it, rego is on hold and I would imagine the cof is also. All good we have connections to a transporter truck it will be around 2k but it will be worth it, it's an awsome truck. Thanks

kazbanz, Feb 16, 1:26am
Legally NO. you should take it only directly to a place of inspection or a place or repair.
Question for you. Are you intending to use it as a house TRUCK or just as an additional dwelling?
My thinking here-if intending to use it as a truck/road use isn't it very much in your best interest to get the truck inspected for a COF to find out what faults it has? So make any purchase dependant on a satisfactory COF inspection. If the brakes are shot ,the chassis rotten etc then you probably don't want it anyways or if you do your decision to truck it is an easy one.

next-to-normal, Feb 16, 1:27am
if it under 6 tonne and reg as a motorized caravan the fine will be cheaper than if its a full truck,do a late night run early week,make sure all the lights work and it looks clean,and pull over and let people pass when going slow,

kazbanz, Feb 16, 1:42am
yep--right till it turns out the brakes are shot and the chassis is rotted through.

snapperhead00, Feb 16, 2:33am
Yes thank you, we are not dum, we got friends in all trades and have had a good geezer at it. We will bring home and park it until it can be done up, it's mostly cosmetic, owners live and travel around the world hence why it hasn'tbeen used for a few years

snapperhead00, Feb 16, 2:34am
it's 5118 tare

poppajn, Feb 16, 3:00am
Unless it's under tow or being transported it's not allowed on the road. Trade plates can only be used by the owner of the plates for their own vechicles can't they Kaz?

kazbanz, Feb 16, 3:19am
Hang on a mo. You came in asking for advice.My advice was to get a COF check done.This will establish how safe or unsafe a vehicle is to drive on the road.Unless your mates have mobile brake test equipment and the gear to test the other COF requirements for a vehicle then there is no way to know if the vehicle is SAFE to be on the roads of NZ.
Please note I said SAFE not legal.
In my opinion once its established the vehicle is actually safe to drive or not then you are in a position to decide to risk it maybe being technically illegal to drive.
Its a total WIN/WIN situation. It will assist your buying decision and if the decision is made will give you a list of repairs you need to undertake.

snapperhead00, Feb 16, 3:39am
Thanx Kaz wasn't meaning to be rude yes friends are mobile Desi mechanics for the big cranes, trucks etc but will take on board what you have said

headcat, Feb 16, 4:22am
2 km from home. It cant be licensed without a COF. Drive to testing station, pay $130 or thereabouts for test. drive to it's new home. All problems solved.

mechnificent, Feb 16, 4:54am
So if you are moving it to your place so it can be repaired by your mechanic mate. It would be a legal move. Or he could cover for you if you say it's going to his place if he lives near you. You are allowed to drive to a warrant and to have it repaired.

Or attach a rope and say it's being towed.

Or do the night shift. what a lot of the house=trucks do anyway.

As has been said. the fine probably will be cheaper than the shipping cost.

purple666, Feb 16, 5:17am
Yup as above. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

blue35, Feb 16, 8:33am
As has already been suggested, run it through for a COF, then you can make an informed decision. If it will cost you $2000 to get it transported home, and the COF reveals faults that are under this, you may as well get it fixed where it is and drive home legally.

petermcg, Feb 16, 9:42am
If the vehicle is not yet completed, uncertified, you can take it into a heavy vehicle certifier, obtain a new VIN and then register it on an Annex C, which is a document allowing you to drive the vehicle to your home.

wsd, Feb 16, 10:04am
It's about time N.Z had a system like they have in Japan where a person who wants to drive an unregistered car can get get a set of temporary plates( same as dealer plates) to be able to legally move a vehicle from once place to another.
I've used them occasionally in Japan when I've bought an unregistered car and all that was required to legally drive it was to buy a months worth of compolsory insurance and go to the local city office and pay a small fee, write the locations of where I was picking the car up and driving to, and then I was given a plate for a few days use.
It wouldn't have made the vehicle any safer to drive but at least it was legal and had the compolsory insurance which doesn't provide a lot of cover in case of an accident but is better than nothing.

tgray, Feb 16, 9:13pm
Would be open to too much abuse.
There are plenty of options for transporting 'regular' unregistered cars about already.

philltauranga, Feb 17, 8:37am
As others said you cant do it legally so.
Step 1*
Get it insured, to start with because the transport company only has carriers liability of $1500 so if they crash you may be up shit creek.
Step 2*
Load it onto the back of "your mates" truck so he can bring it home for you.

In the modern world of policing, you have a good chance of being caught, and if you do in the truck as you state its in, the fine you get will make the 2k transport cost seem like the best option.

mrcat1, Feb 17, 8:42am
Hey Phil,

Did you get the Cat back and get down to the naki before midnight?
I've gone away to another job while I'm waiting for them to get finished at the bridge.

philltauranga, Feb 17, 8:49am
Yea had to give that truck back. much to my disgust, but it ok they given me a kenworth to use now but it got a red motor. yellow one was better.
got to naki in late afternoon.
yellow motor could hold down to 1000rpm and just keep pulling, red one has packed up and gone home when you let rev drop like that.

mrcat1, Feb 17, 8:59am
I have a spray tin of that yellow paint if you want to paint it the right colour, don't think it will fix it dropping its lunch and going home though, the only other thing that would pull like that would mean you would have to look up the arse of a old dog all day.