Insurance Providers

greateft, Sep 6, 10:55pm
Hi, getting insurance on my 1997 Legnum VR4, I popped in to AMI and got a quote yesterday, and called AA Insurance this morning. The AA quote was fully double the AMI one. Keeping in mind you (well, hopefully) get what you pay for, I feel I should look into things a bit further. Anyone got insights on what its like to deal with both insurers (or others) at claim time?

clark20, Sep 6, 11:31pm
Show AMI the AA quote and see if you are getting the same coverage, AMI are good, plenty of people on here recommend them

inatiz, Sep 7, 1:24am
I have been with AMI for many years and have car, house and contents insured with them. I have been impressed with the service I have had.

marmar1, Sep 7, 1:28am
I go through my bank and get a good deal on 2 cars house and contents.

tony9, Sep 7, 1:49am
That is good.

BTW, how do you know it is a good deal? Who else have you compared it with?

v8_mopar, Sep 7, 2:04am
Insurance with cars has different options.

You can insure for the value of the car, I think its called blue book value, or for agreed value. the later costs more. Also you need to look at other costs like some charge more for window cover and roadside brake down.

They all do online quotes so try them all plus you will get very good discounts if you have contents and house insurance with the same company.

let us know who you end up going with and why. may help others.

We use Lumley, very happy with them!

macman26, Sep 7, 2:39am
My bank wanted me to go through them. AMI was still way cheaper

joanie04, Sep 7, 2:56am
With AMI here for probably close to 17 years. Three contents claims and two motor vehicle claims. All paid quickly. The only problem I have had with them was when the cancelled our cover on the Commodore for non-payment. That was their fault as they put the payment off against the Hiace which had been sold. Every month I got a notice that the policy had not been paid. Every month I ran and they assure me it was sorted, but it wasn't. In the end of gave up ringing the 0800 number and went straight to the Whangarei office and the lady that handled one of our motor vehicle claims sorted it straight away. I am sure AMI and Contact Energy help desk staff have the same training providers lol.

bratpack06, Sep 7, 3:15am
Ami is a different company since being taken over by Iag .i would thoroughly recommend AA or Vero any day when getting insurance claims on a vehicle.

greateft, Sep 7, 3:53am
Thanks all, I noted AMI being taken over by IAG so decided to go through Cooperative Bank (underwritten by IAG) for convenience. I'll look into AA again when I've got a more valuable car, but for now it'll do. Cheers

bryshaw, Sep 7, 10:27am
There is one bugbear with AA vehicle glass cover in that they don't cover headlights, tail lights or sunroofs as excess free. Almost all other insurers do.

marmar1, Sep 8, 6:01am
As an aa member it was still cheaper with the bank, could be because it was all the policies with the bank. Ami was my partners,but after she had accident ( not her fault) I had to do the running around to get the police report and other witness for a court case I gave them the flick.

gunhand, Sep 8, 6:31am
Ive been with AMI since, well for 35 years at least. Even when they were SIMU. However since IAGs takeover they have slipped considerably in my eyes. But have a had a few hassle free claims in the past but none since takeover. They, staff or computer system is hopeless now.
I'm thinking of changing as well to a non IAG provider.

joanie04, Sep 8, 10:39am
With my last claim the other party was with IAG. They just sorted it out between them.

321mat, Sep 9, 1:02am
AMI and AA Insurances are good.

But I suggest staying away from Youi, State, and Lumley.
Better value elsewhere.

brapbrap8, Sep 9, 1:49am
No problems with AMI here either, just got the letter for renewal of my car insurance now and will happily do it.
Had one claim earlier this year and the only hard part was the other party suddenly forgot how to speak english when AMI contacted them, and they tried to get out of it but AMI got them sorted pretty quick and waived my excess for not being at fault.

shaun16, Jul 16, 6:00pm
always found ami the cheapest. right from when I started driving 15 years ago they were cheaper than everyone else. always have been when I've thought about looking around. now I have house, contents and car with them