Towing a caravan

Page 2 / 2
jmma, Mar 15, 12:27am
Wonders what part of " Up to you" he does not understand.
I will try on more time (o:
I understand they are two vehicles and tested individually and have two separate WOF'S and also the caravan/trailer can be towed with any other vehicle, But to comply with WOF you need to see behind rear of vehicle.
When hooked up it become one vehicle and you need to see behind that vehicle.
That is where you come in and make your vehicle WOF compliant and make it so you can see. That is all, Thanks (o:

seadubya, Mar 15, 12:30am
I agree with everything you have said in this thread, I have one question, would a rear view camera with live screen in the drivers view meet these standards?

tintop, Mar 15, 12:33am
Ok so far. If you can see behind you, you are ok. If you can't then it is possible that you are wof non-compliant, but it is not likely to be an issue unless the lack of vision to the rear was a factor in a crash or similar.

tintop, Mar 15, 12:36am
Not mentioned here.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/motorcycles/vision/rear-view-mirrors

But certainly a useful device in addition to what is required.

I was going to fit one to our camper for reversing - but sending Ms Tin down the back to look out the rear window was more cost effective.

smallwoods, Mar 15, 12:50am
Been through that with VTNZ and LTNZ.
A driver is not allowed to view a active screen from the drivers seat.
Seems strange you can have a GPS screen?

I have a (old) left hand drive Dodge that I wanted to install a camera on the outside mirror to make passing safer, but was told no way.

seadubya, Mar 15, 12:56am
Thanks tintop and smallwoods, I know my integrated screen only comes on in neutral or with reverse gear. I think as technology progresses, so should the regulations, I mean what is the difference in looking at a 10" rear view mirror or a 10" screen showing the same view? It would be really handy for horsefloats, covered trailers, enclosed caravans etc, to show if queues are happening or emergency services are looking to get past etc. Cameras and screens are quite affordable these days and integrating the wiring in a similar way as the trailer plug wouldn't be hard at all.

smallwoods, Mar 15, 12:58am
Remember to keep your overall width(including mirrors) under 2.450 or you need to display overwidth signs and flags.

With the Ranger mirrors I can see past the rear of towed trailer (when adjusted), just not right up close.
I keep a track on traffic approaching and pull over where-ever safe to do so.
I enough people are being held up, I pull over and stop to clear this traffic.

smallwoods, Mar 15, 1:03am
it is "up to you" when ever you take a vehicle on the road, not just because you are towing a trailer.

The WOF is only good UNTIL you drive onto the road (ie in the WOF shed)
As soon as you drive out, you could change what ever(as a lot of youngsters do).

smallwoods, Mar 15, 1:04am
TOTALLY agree.

tintop, Mar 15, 1:51am
Like Rachels hair . It may take time. :)

kam04, Mar 15, 2:07am
Have you seen that ad on tv where a guy is backing his trailer up his drive towards his shedand his mrs is guiding him, I hope mrs Tin isn't like that, lol.

newtec1, Mar 15, 5:01am
Road code issue,not WOF. You can't pick and chose when your vehicle is up to WOF standard,it either is or isn't at time of inspection. If you were pulled over towing a caravan without a authorised mirror,what would the ticket include. ? it wouldn't be for not displaying a WOF as you would have one on the windscreen. It would be for not having the correct mirror for the purpose, therefore unable to see the rear of the caravan.

jmma, Mar 15, 5:04am
Uuummm, What?
So you get pulled over for a tail light out, you don't get a ticket for no WOF, you get a tick. see where this is going Lol (o:

newtec1, Mar 15, 5:10am
It is not up to the individual to decide if a vehicle has a WOF,that is issued at time of inspection and doesn't change unless you replace all the tires with bald tires and disconnect half the brake system. Then you will be charged with operating an unsafe vehicle,not a vehicle without a WOF. The same would apply operating a towing vehicle without the necesary equipment making the vehicle an unsafe vehicle.

newtec1, Mar 15, 5:11am
No. The vehicle can have a WOF ,but still be unsafe. What's the charge on the sheet.?

jmma, Mar 15, 5:14am
Wonders what part of "WOF compliant" he doesn't understand. ! Lol (o:
AAAArrrgggg leave you to it, It is starting to sound like a brokeen record.
Beer anyone (o:

tintop, Mar 15, 5:55am
No - she is pretty good actually. A wee bit of confusion regarding 'left' and 'right' and whose left and right it is sometimes, but we have been able to back out if some tight spots.

tintop, Mar 15, 5:56am
Yep - Beer time!

tony9, Mar 15, 6:01am
Ahh, unless you are towing a caravan with a motorcycle that is not very relevant.

Further, the requirement is ". a clear view to the rear of the vehicle"

In other words, towards the rear, not the side etc.

According to a cop that stopped me once while towing a trailer, there is no specific law that requires rear view immediately behind the vehicle. Any fully loaded heavy vehicle would fail it.

tintop, Mar 15, 6:14am
hahaha - Well spotted _ But that is not the page was looking at!

must have clicked on the wrong page.

The one I found was for any vehicle, and the need to see past a trailer and its load.

Here it is :)

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/39/vehicle-windows-wipers-and-mirrors.html

captaink, Mar 15, 7:12am
So OP why did you ask, did you get a ticket, if so what for ie how was it worded?
I'm seriously intrigued as I tow caravans nearly every day of the week including 2.7 and 3.0m wide units. Have done so for years and never been pulled over although I did notice a marked car do a 'u' turn and follow me the other day when I had a 2.7wide by 9.0m unit behind.
Had required flags on all corners, lights on, registered and warranted but no extension mirrors. It appeared once he followed me closely enough through a number of turns then got close enough to see rego etc, lost interest, pulled over and went back the way we had come.

meadow_man, Mar 19, 3:13am
Who cares what they think or say?, I have a camera on the rear of my caravan and will use it when I want, it is safer than trying to view out the back window of a caravan that is small and obstructed. Safety first, and the screen is in my view, otherwise it would be pointless. There's that much inconsistency and contradiction with VTNZ it's a joke.

Been through that with VTNZ and LTNZ.
A driver is not allowed to view a active screen from the drivers seat.
Seems strange you can have a GPS screen?

I have a (old) left hand drive Dodge that I wanted to install a camera on the outside mirror to make passing safer, but was told no way.[/quote]

mrsglaucoma11, Apr 24, 8:40am
No ticket-Just don't want one. I can see right through the back of my caravan but are towing a UK one at easter.