Towing a caravan

Page 1 / 2
mrsglaucoma11, Mar 13, 5:40am
If you cant see through your caravan back window(full bathroom no window) are you required by law to use extended mirrors?

jmma, Mar 13, 5:53am
Yes, It is a WOF item, you need to see a clear view to rear of vehicle.

tub4, Mar 14, 8:47am
But how many times do we see large trailer boats being towed where the driver can't see how many are behind them

tintop, Mar 14, 9:05pm
More often than you see them getting a ticket.

gmphil, Mar 14, 9:57pm
west coast mirrors

franc123, Mar 14, 10:00pm
You mean road code, its an operator issue not a WOF issue.

jmma, Mar 14, 10:22pm
No I meant WOF issue, it is illegal to operate a vehicle that you can't see the rear.

smallwoods, Mar 14, 10:49pm
Most trucks would be off the road then?

smallwoods, Mar 14, 10:49pm
Then you can't tow horse floats?

tintop, Mar 14, 10:50pm
Yes - but wof compliance has no meaning if you cannot see to the rear because of the towed load.

jmma, Mar 14, 10:54pm
To me it does (o:
If towing a load you have to make your vehicle compliant?

coolnzmum, Mar 14, 10:55pm
How many people take their caravan into the testing station every time they get a WOF for their vehicle. WOF is for the state of your vehicle at the time it is tested not determined every time you hitch your caravan to your car.

bashfulbro, Mar 14, 10:56pm
Interesting subject, i can`t see how,they can fail a caravan WOF test, because of the vehicle towing it .
They are two different ,registered vehicles, so , surely, it must be a operational issue, enforced on the road ?

coolnzmum, Mar 14, 10:58pm
Common sense tells you that if you hitch your caravan to your vehicle you will need extension mirrors but you don't need extension mirrors attached to your vehicle to get a WOF and the vehicle you take your caravan to testing station for its WOF may not be the one you use for towing normally.

jmma, Mar 14, 11:03pm
Now that's being silly!
I am saying that when you hook up A caravan etc, it is up to you to make your vehicle compliant.
WOF is at time of inspection, but isn't it from that time till the next WOF up to you to keep vehicle up to WOF standard?

tintop, Mar 14, 11:04pm

smallwoods, Mar 14, 11:04pm
Going by the previous reasoning that the driver must be able to have a clear view through out the vehicle to the rear.

The list is long on vehicles and towed vehicles where this doesn't happen.

tintop, Mar 14, 11:06pm
It would seem so. See link above. #18

jmma, Mar 14, 11:10pm
Nobody said " Clear view THROUGH vehicle" Just you must be able to see the rear > (o:

smallwoods, Mar 14, 11:22pm
Original question in #1 was "clear view through the caravan"
How can you do this without a "clear view through" the towing vehicle?

smallwoods, Mar 14, 11:25pm
Poster #2 said "yes you need a clear view to the rear of vehicle"
Being part of WOF?

Others( and I agree) say it's a road/traffic issue, nothing to do with WOF.
Otherwise caravans with no rear window wouldn't be made.

jmma, Mar 14, 11:29pm
You only quote part of the OP's question, you get a clear view by fitting ext. mirrors aye (o:

jmma, Mar 14, 11:32pm
Again and I will say it slowly this time Lol (o:
When you hook up a Caravan, it is up to you to make your vehicle compliant to WOF standard.
This making it a WOF issue?

smallwoods, Mar 15, 12:16am
Ok, I will type this s l o w l y so you can catch up.

A car goes in for a WOF as a single vehicle, gets its WOF.
The next week it tows a caravan in, the car doesn't get retested just the caravan.
My ute tows a fully enclosed vehicle trailer that has no windows and I don't have extensions on my mirrors.
I have never been refused a WOF on either as separate vehicles and never been told I have to WOF them together.
Trailer is 8mtrs in length from tow hitch and I use the standard Ranger mirrors on the road.

smallwoods, Mar 15, 12:17am
First vehicle or towed vehicle?