Tyres

salniamh, Oct 20, 8:06am
Which would you recomend out of these:
Goodyear Duraplus
Michelin Energy XM2
Bridgestone B Series B250
Primewell PS870
I travel to work everyday on the motorway and through town approx 26km each way, apart from that just about town. They seem to range from $80 to $140 each tyre.
TIA :-)

llortmt, Oct 20, 8:55am
The Michelin Energy XM2 will be the best tyre hands down the Primewell will be the $80 its a US Firestone brand made by GT Radial I've sold heaps of them and comments are generally positive.
I'd be interested to know what car and whats size the tyres are.

pandai, Oct 20, 10:12am
I am using the Michelin Primacy 3 ST, which is the next one up from the XM2, and I like it a lot.

salniamh, Oct 20, 6:05pm
Thanks for that - very useful. I have a Toyoto Vitz and the tyres are 155 80 13. So do you think the cheaper options are OK, or do you get what you pay for? I just dont want to pay for the expensive ones when I might not need to go that flash, if that makes sense?

salniamh, Oct 20, 6:08pm
Why are thy so good? Do you pay more for tyres that last for longer or are they safer? Or is it just that they give you a smoother ride? I not exactly sure how they are all differtent. I know all the stuff the garage says about them, but just wondering it its all true or just sales talk.

muzz67, Oct 20, 7:12pm
It comes down to cents per kilometre.
If you have to pay 50% more, but that set lasts twice as long, then you are saving money.

llortmt, Oct 20, 7:53pm
Ok Bridgestone did a wholesale special on the B250 155/80R13 not so long ago I'm selling them at $74.00+gst including fitting and balance etc. (which is a bit of a special because I bought heaps) I sell the Primewell at $77.64+gst. The other two, I would have to call for prices on.
So IF the B250 is at the cheaper end & it should be) it would be my choice with good grip and wear, its better than the Primewell for wear but nothing will top the Michelin but on a little city car I really doubt the Michelins worth the extra money.
To be honest I don't really know anything about the Goodyear I'm afraid .

robotnik, Oct 20, 8:08pm
Primewell is a Bridgestone house brand. Made in China but in factories Bridestone has a stake in. They therefore will be pretty good for a budget tyre.

llortmt, Oct 20, 10:26pm
No they are made for Bridgestone/Firestone by GT Radial (the owners of) primarily for the US market hence the reason the available sizing is often more suited to US market vehicles and yes its made in China as are the majority of tyres including the Michelin. The Bridgestone is in fact made in Indonesia.

intrade, Oct 20, 10:35pm
my expirience is bridgstone firestone make a lod of crap tyres with the odd ok ones. i have found jinyu tire to be better then brigdstone and tests show they compete with Michelin pilot tyre level. So for a good tyre at lowest cost i fitt these, have them on the rear of my merc camper and still more thread on em 1 year then the new front tyre just fitted .

salniamh, Oct 20, 11:24pm
So the
Goodyear $102/tyre inc balance
Michalin $140/tyre inc balance (I'm thinking these are beyond my needs)
Bridgestone $85/tyre + balance of $59
Primewall $78/tyre + balancing $59

So I'm thinking its betwaeen the Goodyear and the Bridgestone

salniamh, Oct 20, 11:34pm
Thanks for all your help - its been really useful :-)

pandai, Oct 20, 11:59pm
I see now you are driving a Vitz - Wouldn't stress too much about tyres as your car is not really heavy nor powerful, that you need to buy premium.

The Bridgestones would be fine but it seems odd that you have to pay extra for balancing, or was that $59 for an alignment?

salniamh, Oct 21, 6:49am
Sorry thats what I meant - alignment lol. :-) Not very car knowledgable. Thanks for that though - good to know.

llortmt, Oct 21, 9:04am
Wheel alignment and wheel balancing are completely different things.

Wheel Balancing- this balances the rotating tyre. If the tyre is not balanced, it will cause a vibration to the vehicle, depending on how out of balance, possibly at any speed. Balancing SHOULD be included in the price of the fitted tyre. If not it worth circa $5.00 per wheel.

Alignment- This makes sure that all tyres on the vehicle are pointing the same direction. Essentially, it keeps one tyre from pulling outward or pushing in on the vehicle. A proper alignment makes the tyres last longer, fuel mileage greater, and eases pressure on the suspension system and just generally makes driving the vehicle much easier. Wheel alignment costs anywhere from $35-$150 ($59 sounds fine)
Personally I'd say buy the Bridgestones and get the wheel alignment done at the same time.

salniamh, Oct 21, 6:09pm
Thanks very much for all your advice - this is what I have done and its booked in for Friday.
It's all good to know as I could have easily paid $200 or so more thinking that was best, but for my little run about I need something reliable but not so flash. I didnt want to just listen to the sales talk, so good to talk to people who know but not selling me something. Thanks :-)

whqqsh, Oct 21, 7:06pm
Shop around & the Michelins do come up quite a bit cheaper, I used them for some time on several cars Ive owned & they are good

mainlander05, Oct 23, 9:05pm
To do a $59 alignment means you are only getting front toe done.get a full w/a as its worth it.

scuba, Jan 8, 12:12am
nobody mentioned 1757013 as alternative?
similar price range better tyres available?
or are they not a good fit on a Vitz?