Rust spots and WOF. Advise needed.

marte, Oct 7, 12:37pm
Since I am next to the south coast I get rust spots where theres paint chips.

Im thinking of just using' a wire wheel in a drill to grind the spots out and then rustprotect them and paint over with white spray paint.
Theres a patchy part in the rear lower sills in front of the rear wheels too. But it seems solid, not rusted thru at all.
Is this going to be OK to do?

I also know Im going to have to replace the drivers safety belt.
Theres a large chip out of the plastic surrounding the slot on the stalk where you put the tounge bit into. It does not make any difference to putting the tounge in. But expect I will have to replace the stalk too.

Is it best to fix all this first and then go get a WOF (or COF?).
Or go for a WOF and then fix anything they ask me too.
The rust things my main worry.
Safety belt just needs $120 odd thrown at it.

Also should I take it to my favorite privately owned garage/workshop or the Testing station?

biddy6, Oct 7, 5:59pm
Go to your local garage, and just wait and see what it needs, if anything.

scuba, Oct 7, 9:08pm
If the plastic chip doesn't affect the seat belt operation it shouldn't affect the WOF.
and if it does just replace the stalk with one from trade me or a wrecker.- unless the belt itself is damaged.

check with a panel shop about the rust spots it may just require a bit of rust kill and a spot of touch up brushed/sprayed on.

I would fix the rust first- then take for WOF.

tamarillo, Oct 8, 12:10am
Sometimes it does seem best to fix things first, once they find one bit they'll search for more. But depends on place. If your local workshop is a good bloke then he'll be more sensible and only fail on obvious bits.

marte, Mar 11, 4:03pm
Thank you for the answers.
I think I will replace the belt and but let them know I have replaced it.

I will have a pick at the rust spots and see how deep the ones that worry me are, and spot fix the stone chips.
And I will take the car to the garage who replaced my cambelt a couple of months ago.
They were pretty proffesional and at a good price. They even gave me a 'real discount' off the parts price. I had checked the parts price out before visiting them.

The cars a '96 Mitsi Galant, NZ assembled, Hatchback, 3 owners, so I think anything spent on it is worthwhile doing.

I was not sure of the licensing place was real strict or not, same with the garages. They seem to vary over time, depeding on the rules at the time.