JPNZ Manual - Toyota Platz 2001 - Questions

littlerae1, Feb 26, 7:40am
My car came with an English version of the car manual which was a great read, but now I have a tonne of questions! Please can you explain the following to me? Thank you for your assistance :-)

1. WATER TEMPERATURE GAUGE: Do not over-rev the engine until the low water temperature light (blue) turns off.

What do they mean by "over-rev"? I start driving before the blue light turns off and it doesn't turn off until about five minutes into the journey. Am I doing something wrong to the car?

2. WET BRAKES: When driving in wet conditions, occasionally test brakes by applying them lightly several times. If brakes are wet, keep lightly applying them until they dry out.

I'm guessing they're wet when it's raining and I'm driving through puddles? How the heck would I know when they have dried out?!?

3. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION: use 2nd gear when driving down hills. Use low gear when descending steep slopes. The gears will move between 1 and 4 when O/D switch is ON. The gears will move between 1 and 3 when O/D switch is OFF which is suitable for driving on hills. O/D OFF acts as a light engine brake when traveling down hills. Also used when ascending a slope to reduce the number of gear changes, resulting in smoother driving. If stopped for some time, place the shift lever to NEUTRAL.

I always thought O/D was used when you go over 80 km/h to save petrol? So all these years I've been using it incorrectly? Or is this because it's a new type of engine?

4. MANUAL A/C: To remove fogging, set dial to ???windscreen/lower leg??? on fresh air. To remove fogging quickly, turn the a/c on, increase the fan speed and increase the air temperature.

When the upper body/lower leg vent is selected, turn the temperature adjustment dial to the centre to have warm air flowing from the lower leg vents and comparatively cooler air flowing from the centre and left and right vents.

This vehicle is equipped with a clean air filter. The filter should be changed regularly to maintain optimum performance. In general, the filter should be changed every two years, but in cities, cold climates and dusty areas, the filter will need to be changed more frequently.

OK, so that was all new to me?!? I'll have to play around with the settings to stop the screen from fogging up. Apparently I should be able to pull the glove box out and the filter is behind it?

5. VEHICLE MAINTENANCE:

- Winter: Replace existing oil with oil that is suitable to the climate. Change the mixture of antifreeze and coolant to best suit temperature the vehicle is used in.

- Summer: Check the air conditioner and refill gas if necessary. Use HFC134a(R134a) gas for the air conditioner. Open windows to allow hot air to escape before turning the air conditioner on.

- Waxing: should be carried out every month or when water no longer beads like water droplets on the paint.

- Stone chips or scratches: repair using touch up paint.

The manual doesn't have a service schedule, so do mechanics know what to do when or do I need to request it?

Thanks again for your assistance. I'm learning lots :-)

gunhand, Feb 26, 7:45am
I will do number 1, just don't thrash it till blue light goes out. When it does it just means it's up to optimum operating temp. All good, no probs, it's how it works.

tamarillo, Feb 26, 7:59am
2. If brakes get really really wet, like through a ford, you'll find bugger all happens when you press pedal. Simply apply softly with foot on gas so your still moving and they dry very quick and you'll feel brakes working. In normal rain this shouldn't happen. Don't worry.

jmma, Feb 26, 8:00am
No 2 Brakes will work when they are dried out (o:

tamarillo, Feb 26, 8:02am
3. You're right, odd explanation. Seem to be saying its a four speed box but 4th is an overdrive gear meaning it is even higher than 1-1 ratio.
So it's a 3 speed normally and will only use 123, only when you engage I'd will it allow 4th.
Weird. Sounds like they have also programmed it to hold gears longer in normal so it stays in low gear which acts as engine brake.
Try it and see what happens.

msigg, Feb 26, 8:02am
No 2 means if the brakes/disks are soaking from heavy rain/large puddles etc, the brakes may not be as effective as when completely dry, if you touch the brake peddle a little the the pads will dry the disks, and the brakes will be more effective/faster, I have only noticed this in a large 4 wheel drive doing river crossings, so just drive normally as you have and you will be fine.

msigg, Feb 26, 8:04am
Yes as above tamarillo was faster.

tamarillo, Feb 26, 8:08am
5. What tosh. Same oil all,year in nz, change often, I do every 5000 k which is too often but it's chesp insurance. Filter chance every second oil change.
Air conditioning one just leaves until you notice it's not cold enough then get regass. Shouldn't need it often, several years.
I put wax on cars every six months,mif protects paint, makes it easier to wash. Many say I'm mad doing it so often. Monthly is nuts. Real wax in bottle that dries on and had to be polished off. Wax with wash is rubbish.
Stone chips. well yes touching them up is ideal, most don't bother. Touch up sticks at super cheap and others.m

kazbanz, Feb 26, 8:14am
there ya go

gammelvind, Feb 26, 8:14am
4. Turn the AC on leave it on, just adjust the temp and where you want the air to go and fogging will never be an issue.

littlerae1, Feb 26, 9:34am
Thanks gunhand! I'm a nanna-driver so I guess I have no worries here - lol!

littlerae1, Feb 26, 9:35am
Thanks tamarillo - wow - it's the first time I've heard of this. I think I would FREAK OUT if bugger all happens when I press on the brake pedal!

lol - thanks jmma - very enlightening :P

Thanks tamarillo - I best get someone knowledgeable to try it for me cause knowing my luck, I'd probably fry the transmission. I did google it and the most common answer was just to leave it in O/D all the time and only turn O/D off for slopes/hills. *shrugs*

littlerae1, Feb 26, 9:36am
Thanks msigg - yep - I don't intend to do any river crossings if I can help it :-)

Thanks tamarillo - say I only drive around 2,500 km per year - would it still benefit the car to have the oil changed each year? It's just I notice my previous mechanic didn't change it for a couple of years due to low km's.

You mention "mif protects paint". What is "mif"? I rather like the idea of 6-monthly wax than monthly.

Thanks gammelvind - According to the manual, that is how they do the automatic one. But the manual a/c has three dials to adjust, I think? I'll try the one they recommend for manual a/c and see how I go :-)

littlerae1, Feb 26, 9:37am
Thanks kazbanz - very much appreciated :-)

tamarillo, Feb 26, 9:41am
No you won't fry it, it's a Toyota designed for easy use. This is why men never read manuals, they're scaremongering.

vtecintegra, Feb 26, 9:42am
The switch and corresponding light is for O/D Off - the idea is you leave it on unless you need to switch it off for one of the reasons mentioned (in which case it will lock out 4th gear)

tamarillo, Feb 26, 9:47am
Ah yes mif. Well it's hard to explain really. It's something to do with my inability to type and very odd spell check. Think I meant 'it'.
Six monthly is fantastic and your car will love you for it. Simple turtle wax in a bottle is as good as any and easier to remember what to buy!

dublo, May 25, 5:50pm
Someone mentioned change oil frequently and the filter every second time. NO! Filters are cheap, change them every time. For the mileage you are doing once a year oil changes should be fine.