Not all V8 conversions look good.

Page 1 / 2
socram, Jan 5, 8:48am

mrfxit, Jan 5, 8:54am
WHy, I think that looks really cool & hot.
If I was wanting a street drag race & saw that car with the v8 rumble, then I probably would just leave it alone & tootle off to find something slightly less intimidating to race

quickbuck, Jan 5, 8:55am
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I reckon it looks rather awesome. Agree, not for the Spitfire purest, but as a car with a bit of mongrel. (Road legal Super Kart) Ticks the boxes.

sr2, Jan 5, 9:10am
It's not only a beast, there is some very classy fabrication there.
A big like from me, (more details and build pic's below).

http://www.britishv8.org/triumph/philmcconnell.htm

quickbuck, Jan 5, 9:19am
Looks even better without the flames.
Wonder if he is going to slot a Gen 3 LS1 in it at some stage. I guess so much work has going into the Gen 1 350 that there is no real need to change apart from a stronger bottom end.

mrfxit, Jan 5, 9:29am
Hell yes.
After looking at the build spec's, it's not really a conversion job at all.
It's a ground up custom build using just the body shell of the Spitfire car more as a concept rather then a modded Spitfire

duggin, Jan 5, 5:40pm
Cool & Hot?

Certainly worthy of a closer look, but there's something out of proportion. . Needs some wide flares on the wheel arches. Seriously, would love to hear the engine.

mrfxit, Jan 5, 8:28pm
"Cool" for general glance
"Hot" for that much longer look & understanding what it's capable for + begging for that impossible drive of it

richynuts, Jan 5, 8:45pm
Minilites would make it more appealing.

socram, Jan 5, 8:51pm
Looking at it again, I think it is the hood in the pic I posted that makes it look odd. A decent hard top would improve its looks no end.

As shown in the full article, without the hood, it looks so much better. Yup, definitely a beast. Its a fascinating website and my own build will be on there once the car is finished.

whqqsh, Jan 5, 8:53pm
dunno, its sort of cool but not my cup of tea. but not sure why, somethings not right propertion-wise & Im usually a fan of big motors wedged into small cars. Maybe because its not subtle but not over the top outrageous, sort of that uncertain middle ground

mrfxit, Jan 5, 10:29pm
Halfway between separate mudguards & inbuilt with overgrown flairs
The style is halfway between the 2 types of body style.
Still HOT in my mind & real beasty.
An absolute joy to drive if you have the balls to plunder that loud peddle

sr2, Jan 5, 10:59pm
Yes it would suit a hardtop very much. I think the two tone paint possibly makes it look a little "bitza", I'd like to see how it would look with just the blue.

Make sure you let us all know when your builds on the site.

dingo011, Jan 6, 2:52am
http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/CalvinGrannis.htm

I think this is how a V8 conversion should be done!

socram, Jan 6, 3:09am
Two hoops to go now. Wax injection done on the new sills today and the repair certifier needs to check it and see the sills painted, then will hopefully issue the repair certificate. That is the last hurdle before a second attempt at compliance.

Once the bonnets, boot lid and radiator side panels are finished and painted, only then will it go onto that website - though the car has its own saga already published on line. Just 31 pages over the last ten years.

socram, Jan 6, 3:13am

socram, Jan 6, 4:03am
From my build saga - interior progress as at April 2011. Dash all home made as are the door panels. You get the gist of what it is all about anyway! Steering wheel will be a woodrim of course - which I bought in NZ two months ago.

http://www.monza.org.nz/cars/8monza8/8images/211_0423_16b.JPG

stevo2, Jan 6, 4:34am
more photos?

socram, Jan 6, 6:33am
Check out the website - all the info is on that link.

lookoutas, Jan 6, 7:12am
It's obviously been done by someone who can only work with flat panels. And that scoop does look a bit agricultural.

Reminds me of a guy I know who put a scoop on the bonnet of his Mustang - cut one end off a roasting dish and turned it upside down.
Looked as rude as that one.
He had the rear jacked up with big fat wheels, and his rear guard flares were a bit of 2mm plate sticking straight out like stainless mudflaps, and screwed on in the same manner!

No wonder we have to jump through so many hoops now!

quickbuck, Jan 6, 7:59am
Now, that is one neat cat to put an LS1 into.

frank80, Jan 6, 10:02pm
Interesting concept but purple colour ruins most of it appeal.

shuddupowh, Jan 6, 10:16pm
Video of the car in first post. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJZbuko61XE

trogedon, Jan 6, 11:19pm
Putting it in a "cat" would really make it purr.

richardmayes, Jan 7, 1:45am
My favourite car on BritishV8 is the red TR4 with the Ford V8. the car's looks are unchanged, the engine sits low in the bay and looks like a factory installation, proper air cleaner accommodated with no bonnet bulge required, and all purportedly done for a minimal cost. Beautiful!

http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/JaySmith.htm