New Fiat Puntos are cheap!

Page 1 / 2
tgray, Sep 11, 8:02am
I see full page ads for them in local and national newspapers for $15,995 including GST.
Cheap but would you buy one?

jmma, Sep 11, 8:11am

brapbrap8, Sep 11, 8:15am
Would probably have a Mitsi Mirage for the same price.

2sheddies, Sep 11, 8:20am
Not my cup of tea, but it is cheap for a brand new car. People are paying near to that for crapped out old utes lol. Very different different vehicles I know, but still.

henreitta, Sep 11, 8:20am
Nope. ugly looking thing and servicing and repairs probably going to cost heaps,
mind you, i think most modern cars look ugly anyway

oddbits, Sep 11, 8:22am
its a car for a person who has given up on life :)

matarautrader, Sep 11, 8:31am
I thought that was what Corollas were for?

ianab, Sep 11, 8:39am
The car for the person that's given up on Corollas?

r.g.nixon, Sep 11, 8:42am
Certainly, but my budget doesn't stretch to new. Fiat Panda and Skoda Citigo are cheap too.

jmma, Sep 11, 8:42am
Hey leave Corolla;s out of this OK )o:

kazbanz, Sep 11, 8:59am
Um now that's interesting.--someone going on about new technology etc and the punto hasn't changed since 2006--9 year old technology

r.g.nixon, Sep 11, 9:07am
That's good. Fewer hackable computers in them then.

henreitta, Sep 11, 9:08am
Hehe, even a car made in 2006, is too modern for me

stevo2, Sep 11, 9:30am
Not a car that I would choose but at $16k, it may be worth a Punt(o)

whqqsh, Sep 11, 9:39am
we're going to look at one on Saturday (I had a sneak peek at lunchtime today & Im impressed), we were thinking updating the wifes car & at that price why not get a new car instead of a 5 year old one, along with 3 year warranty etc etc why not?

franc123, Sep 11, 9:42am
Once you've bought one then you will have to live with it is why not. Don't live too far away from a Fiat agent either.

whqqsh, Sep 11, 10:04am
we have owned an older Punto & had trouble free motoring for 2 years, the wife only sold it to get a bigger faster Golf, now her requirements have changed we're quite happy to get another one. BTW a friend of ours has bought a new Toyota Yaris for his mother & its been back to the dealer 3 times in 6 months for various issues (one a major trans failure) so I wouldn't start bragging about Jappa reliability either

franc123, Sep 11, 10:12am
I couldn't give a stuff what you buy, its your money and your choice, 2 years trouble free WOW. I'd still have much more faith in a Toyota auto than a robotised Italian manual thanks, I would hope they are engineered to a higher standard than what Alfa could ever manage with those Selespeed units.

whqqsh, Sep 11, 10:21am
ok keep your nightie on, Petal. The wifes English & prefers Euro cars & we've had good runs with all of them, as well as a few Jappas & can't understand you panty-bunching 'jappa or nothing' brigade. On the few occasions when Euro parts are required we've found spares to be comparable & often cheaper than the Jappa offerings. even compared to my preferred Falcons & Holdens

gedo1, Sep 11, 7:42pm
An interesting aspect of the costs of spares. or anything for that matter. is the cost of producing them. Producing in small volume costs more than producing in large numbers. From there we could deduce that if there is a need for a large number of spares then they will be produced in volume - ergo, cheaper. Can we thus assume spares for some cars are cheaper than others is because there is a greater demand? I would say it also is a strong indicator of the reliability of such cars. yes? Then I thought perhaps the greater demand is because one manufacturer sells MORE cars than others. but when you check the figures it still doesn't dispel the point made earlier. more demand = lower prices.

robotnik, Sep 11, 8:33pm
The dual clutch tranny on those is too jerky. It is like being driven by a person learning stick who never gets better at it.

tamarillo, Sep 11, 10:09pm
It's not a dual clutch. Oh oh

tamarillo, Sep 11, 10:14pm
I took one out for day in chch and surrounds from Jucy. Great stuff for that money. It wanted to go, wanted to trash, zoom round corners.
If you like driving but want small and cheap.
Yes gearbox is crap left as an auto, though I did find it got better as I drive and adjusted. Much better as a manual without a clutch pedal, then it works great. It's a robotised manual single clutch. Was better than the Alfa one and has proved reliable.
And this crap about it being a fiat so unreliable, jeez people run these with no problems at all, all over the world.
For that money it's cool.

robotnik, Sep 11, 10:45pm
I thought with the name Dualogic that it would be. Anyway the Punto I drove with that transmission wasn't smooth.

tamarillo, Sep 11, 10:51pm
You're right it's not conventionally smooth. As a pure auto it isn't much good, though gets better with familiarity. But as a manual with no clutch pedal it's brilliant!