Questions about BMW X5

moviemakerguy, Aug 31, 10:11am
HI guys,

I am thinking about getting a BMW x5. I am thinking about importing one from overseas.

1. Are these allowed to be imported?
2. Do vehicles imported from overseas need to be less than a certain number of years old? (i.e. does the x5 have to be newer than 2011)?
3. Can a 2015 x5 interior fit into an older version of the x5?
4. Are there any other good SUV's out there? (I am after an SUV with a nice exterior)

intrade, Aug 31, 10:20am
i would not buy a bmw no one will have a clue how to fix them they even have fiber optics in them since 2008 for transmitting sensor information. so you need a tech up to speed with fiber optics diagnostics skills should something go wrong, and almost no one can even find and fix a normal electronic fault .

brapbrap8, Aug 31, 12:37pm
Wouldn't have a clue for 1-3.
For #4 I guess you need to shop the X5 against the Audi Q7/VW Toureg/Porsche Cayene, Range Rover Vogue or Toyota Landcruiser VX.

westwyn, Aug 31, 12:54pm
1- Yes. Not all, but certainly 2006 or so on.
2- It's a standards based regime here, not year based. If the vehicle can be proven to meet the required standards (and that means a statement of compliance from the manufacturer or recognised source) then it, in that respect, can be imported.
3- I'm betting almost 101% the answer is "no".
4-How long is a piece of string? What do YOU like?

petal_91, Aug 31, 1:02pm
It should be noted that BMW calls the X5 a Sport Activity Vehicle (SAV) rather than an SUV, to emphasize its top notch on-road ability despite its size.

kazbanz, Aug 31, 8:36pm
That answers your questions I hope.
if you are thinking of importing direct from Europe I'd suggest doing your sums carefully first. The drop in the NZ dollar has hit fairly hard on uk imports.

tamarillo, Sep 1, 12:00am
Oh come on! Are you saying no mechanics in NZ are as good as average one in Europe or states ? What poopycock.

tamarillo, Sep 1, 12:02am
If you need to ask this stuff, I'd suggest you really shouldn't do a personal import. It's a minefield and There are good cars for sale as parts or track cars as they can't get certified.

sr2, Sep 1, 12:10am
LOL; didn't you know Europe is chock-a-block with mechanical Luddites who drive around in 25 year old auto Corollas?

(No offence intended Intrade mate, I'm just taking the piss!).

bill-robinson, Sep 1, 12:51am
why bother with a personal import when you can but them from any BMW dealer.

elect70, Sep 1, 4:05am
Buy from NZ dealer . THat way it will be covered by the CGA & buy a warranty with it , the cost of repairs esp the electrics can be humongous . Not worth the risk of buying it direct from O/s

rbd, Sep 1, 7:10am
Having owned one, post 2003 BMW's are designed for the first owner over the first five years. After that you are on your own. General reliability is well below par due to simple poor design.

The fibre-optic network is the least of your worries.

edangus, Aug 6, 10:18am
But the full noise Motorsport Petrol or Diesel either or is a fine machine.
The rest suck (I am currently driving a 2011 3.0 Twin Turbo Diesel NZ New - Pauper edition)
No Heated Seats - No Nav - No Cruise Control. In saying that, it gets up and goes well enough and certainly is frugal on Diesel.